• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Found UCSD P-System for IBM

Jimmy

Veteran Member
After years of searching I finally have acquired all 6 original disks and 4 of the five original manuals
for the UCSD P-System that IBM sold under their name. It is version IV. All the disks are readable
But the labels on the Extras and Utilities Disk are in bad shape. I also have a seperste Runtime disk
And manual as well as the Fortean Compiler and manual I have a stand alone manual and Pascal compiler disk.

I hope to one day acquire the Systems and Architecture manual. I missed out was out bid on one
Recently on eBay. I would also like to acquire the BASIC compiler and manual but the I don't hold
Out much hope for that.

I have been working to put together an early collection of IBM PC hardware and software. I want to
collect them for my Grandson.

Any lead or information on any of the items will be greatly appreciated. I hope to put together a website of my modest collection soon.

Jimmy

Alternative operatings systems for the IBM 5150 PC make for some interesting exploration off the beaten path, and I have recently been playing with the UCSD p-System as well. BTW: Any scans of documentation that you are able to post would surely be appreciated by the VCF community. With some of these operating systems it sometimes comes down to just trying how to do the basics, like booting and navigating...

Regards the UCSD p-system, here is a link to a paper from the Cryptologic Quarterly that was recently declassified by the NSA in 2011. (No I'm not making this up!) The paper provides a nice overview of what the operating system does, and some basics about how to use it.

https://www.nsa.gov/news-features/d...-quarterly/assets/files/The_UCSD_p_System.pdf

Regards the UCSD p-system, here is a link to a paper from the Cryptologic Quarterly that was recently declassified by the NSA in 2011. (No I'm not making this up!) The paper provides a nice overview of what the operating system does, and some basics about how to use it.

There is a ton of less obscure documentation on the Softech version of the P-System if you search for it, and there has been an active Yahoo P-System group for over a decade.
Most of the IBM documentation are direct copies of the docs from Softech.

Thanks for this, The NSA article has bought me from knowing nothing about my NEC APC UCSD-p system to wanting to know more. I too will look for those Softtech manuals.

Back