• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Franklin Ace 1000/1200 error codes

billdeg

Technician
thm_Franklin_Ace-1200_error-code.jpg

My Franklin ACE 1200 - Error when I attempt to boot a diskette. The system POSTs the ROM version 2.3, but bombs when the system attempts to read a disk.

Does anyone know where I can find an error chart for the Franklin Ace? I have been searching the web. If I find one I will post it here. I am guessing this is a RAM issue, or a bad ROM issue. Not sure yet. If no codes are available, perhaps someone here knows where I can find a RAM dump, especially of F000-FFFF, which is where I believe the ROMS are being written to...this would help me eliminate the problem being a bad ROM.

Thanks

Bill

Last edited:
If FP BASIC is crashing on you, you can try manually filling the memory from the monitor with test patterns and dump them to see if any bits are stuck.
If FP BASIC still works for you, you can do hgr and see if any hires properly clears to black. Or your disk or drive is bad...

That looks like the Apple monitor prompt. Let's see if I can remember...

The first number, 3715, is the PC where the program crashed. The other values are the registers.

L might get you a disassembled listing. xxxx.yyyy should list that range. g should go from the current PC. 6<control-p> should boot slot 6, change the number for other slots. control-d might get you BASIC of one kind or another. Control-Reset might, too.

Could be RAM. Could be a bad drive. Could be a bad floppy. Does the Franklin have any of the other input methods (serial or cassette, most likely) that ATDPro can use to bootstrap to the hardware? If so, you might make a new ADTPro floppy and see if that boots.

I have plenty of spare Apple or Franklin parts to replace or borrow from other systems for the shotgun approach to repair :) ... But I want to understand how to interpret these codes.

It did not occur to me that I could use the Apple monitor docs! Thanks..I will report back when the job is done.

bill

I have plenty of spare Apple or Franklin parts to replace or borrow from other systems for the shotgun approach to repair :) ... But I want to understand how to interpret these codes.
As others have mentioned - this is a simple crash into the monitor due to what's coming off of the disk, perhaps corrupted by ROM if it's trying to run BASIC. From the Monitor, try a Ctrl-C or a Ctrl-B to get back into BASIC and see if simple commands like HOME work. If so, then your RAM and ROM are probably fine, and you just have a bad disk.

Back