• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Free IBM ValuePoint 466DX2/Dp (Yes, Virginia, there is a catch)

thunderbird32

I'm giving away an IBM ValuePoint 466DX2/Dp. Why you ask am I giving away this neat little 486 machine (which would be lovely to play old DOS games on)? Funny you should ask. Story time: once there was a stupid teenager who moved to a new town. He put all his old computers in the garage at his new house, and then forgot about them for about 6 years. "Surely they'll be fine", he thought. Well that stupid teenager grew up to be me, and I just dug out one of these machines. Opened my tricked out 486, saw a nest of something (looks like a bunch of loose fur/feathers?), went NOPE, and closed the machine back up. Apparently this idiot forgot to put covers on the ISA slots. So here's the deal, free 486 machine in the South Chicago (Homewood), north-west Indiana area. I don't remember how much ram is in it, but I do know it has a Gravis Ultrasound and a CD-ROM drive (which I'm pretty sure is ruined, I did see rust on the drive before I closed the machine back up). Pretty sure it's got Windows 3.1 or Windows 95 installed. So, the only cost to you is picking it up and cleaning it out. Don't know if it's trashed or only dirty and possibly filled with dead rodents. It's a mystery box! I don't seriously expect anyone to actually take me up on this offer, so I expect it's going to the curb (after I man up the courage to pull the GUS (totally worth it)) in a few days.

BTW, the story does have a semi-happy ending. My Sun Ultra1, escaped the garage unscathed. I also have a Apple Mac G3 All-In-One that was in the garage of horrors as well, don't know if it works. I could be persuaded to sell it if anybody is interested (I do know that the monitor was going bad before I put it in storage, other than that I don't know.) It has Mac OS 9 installed.

The English is poor but they are not selling anything, they used an email address as their handle, and the IP is in the US, so I doubt it is a spammer either.

Not selling anything, today. Most spam attacks start out quite innocuously. They have to set the hook.

Gmail is not an email address! It's the WSH -- World Spam Headquarters. I get 25 - 50 spams per day and way more than 50% of them originate @ Gmail. I really think that Google is on the take.

You mean that there are no spammers using US IPs? I can't agree with that.

FWIW, I didn't reach my conclusion based on any of the above parameters. I got it from the tone/feel of the message, itself. I don't catagorize it as bad English, either, but rather literally translated (transliterated) Eastern European.

My track record for recognizing spam is pretty good over the years. Please assume I know what I'm doing for the most part and don't turn everything into an argument/discussion immediately ...

Last edited:
Back