• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Friden Flexowriter terminal

Well, I figured out how to make the video with my Canon camera. It turned out pretty good. But then I attempted to upload it to youtube, what a pain in the neck. I found youtube not very helpful. Apparently the way they think does not compare with how my brain works and after all morning horsing around with it, I gave up, it's just not worth it, sorry, Mike

And here I thought I was doing a lot of work to get a Wyse50 to work through the UART controller on an SBC......

My son, Dan came over this evening and we were talking about youtube and my trouble uploading to it. He said it should be no problem to do it, so he toke some time and showed my how. We uploaded three videos. The first one showsthe Friden typing. You can see the machine working, but the paper is in the glare of the light and you can not see the type. The second film shows the typing and the third film was an attempt to show both at the same time. Here are the links;
Seems you can teach an old dog some new tricks, Mike

It's really amazing what can be done with cams, levers, a bunch of relays and other mechanical stuff. I had it type a help file and the typing puts you in a trance as it is working. This led me to another problem, this time with the Friden. There is a mechanical ribbon direction changer. During the long typing the ribbon came to the end of the spool, the direction changer did not work and the hammers pounded a hole into the ribbon. AND it started to tear. So I need to go down to the typewriter store and get the ribbon replaced, but not today, we got 10 inches of wet heavy snow last night. Have to clean the driveway. I do that in steps. I work until I get tired then take an hourcoffee break. My next project is to make a box for all this stuff. Looks like I'll have two PCB's. One for the converter hardware and the other for the RPI and associated stuff. Maybe when I get the box finished I'll post a picture here. Thanks for the help, Mike.

Mike, I had to look up what an LPG-30 was. Now that's hardware. 800 pounds, Takes 1.5 Kwatt to run it and cost $47K. I have seen the Friden SFD on the Colossus computer at Bletchley Park UK. Not sure exactly how it was used, probably made or read those long paper tape loops. I wonder what the output looked like and if they used the Friden data codes. Pretty neat. Mike

Back