• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Front Panel Audio connected, but not working?

ScanDisk

Veteran Member
Hi,

So some of you may have seen a couple of my other posts regarding my father's old computer from 2009 I recently upgraded and turned into a decent gaming machine for the late 2000's, as a fun project.

Anyways, it runs pretty good, and only has minor issues with Saints Row 2 and I chalk that up to the game itself with it being notorious for being horribly optimized.

One issue I have always had was an issue with things on the front panel, at the top of the case in a 5.25 bay, is a combo multi card reader, two usb ports, and mic and headphone ports. All the card readers work fine, as do the two usb ports.

However the headphone and microphone jacks do not seem to work at all. My motherboard is an Asus P5KPL-AM SE, I went and read the motherboard manual and then I made sure the front panel audio was connected properly (which it was) and I disconnected and reconnected it firmly to be sure, but still nothing.

Back when I first reinstalled XP SP3 after erasing the hard drive with DBAN, I went and got all the drivers for the motherboard off of Asus' website (it's still on there) including for the on-board Realtek HD Audio, and it does work, all the audio ports on the back work just fine.

Nothing in the manual mentioned special software for the front panel audio, so from my understanding, since it is properly connected and the proper drivers for the on-board audio are installed, it should work. So I don't know what the problem may be.

Is there something I am missing, or is it the case, that the jacks, or the cable, or the header are just "bad"?

Did you try changing the Front Panel Type in the BIOS setup?

Hmm it's referenced in the manual? It defaults to HD Audio and you can supposedly switch between HD/AC97.

Ah thanks.

I have re-read the manual including the foot notes this time, and it is indeed referenced. When I searched through the BIOS, I didn't see anything that screamed "front panel" or "audio" to me. I guess I will look again when I get home, and maybe try to do some further research on what specifically to look for.

Back