• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

FS: 8 MHz NEC V30 CPUs

Chuck(G)

25k Member
If you've got a system that takes an 8086 (not 8088 ), you can perform a speedup (same idea as substituting a NEC V20 for an 8088 ) and get support for some of the 80186 instruction set. They seem to be harder to find than the V20 chips for some odd reason.

I've got 4 to sell, $5 each+shipping. US only, please.

You can use these in an AT&T PC6300, as well as some of the Grid 8086-based portables.

That's a good price... I paid $12 each for two of them not long ago, and I was thankful to have found them at that price!

FWIW, this is a good upgrade for the IBM PS/2 Model 25 computers which house 8086 CPUs.

Just wondering, will one of these work with an 8087 Math Co-Processor?

There were several commercial platforms to combine the V30 with the 8087. What I'd like to find is a NEC 70291 "super" NDP. NEC announced it, but I can find no literature on it. Supposedly, when used with a V20 or V30, it incorporated a "super channel" link with the CPU.

Seemed to work fine when we tried it.

Seemed to work fine when we tried it.

Just wondering, will one of these work with an 8087 Math Co-Processor?

Years back, my Dad and I replaced the 8086 CPU in his Olivetti M24 with a NEC V30. Some time either before or after that (I'm not sure), we also added an 8087 coprocessor to the system, and it worked fine with the V30. Of course we applied the upgrade mostly to "complete" the system, but I don't think we had any real good software on hand to test it with. But the BIOS did detect the 8087 when starting up (even with the V30), so I guess it worked...

Back