• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

FS: Compaq Deskpro 386

wrljet

Experienced Member
I have a nice original Compaq Deskpro 386 I'd like to unload.

This is the early original 386 PC, 16 MHz, no cache.

Power supply has been carefully repaired and washed, fan replaced.

It includes a fully populated optional memory daughter board.
4MB RAM. Also another spare board, with the factory soldered RAMs
but nothing in the sockets.

I have the original working Compaq pre-IDE disk drive, but it is not
installed (to preserve it). PC has a newer IDE installed. A couple
floppy drives, VGA, Ethernet card.

It ran Windows 3.11 when I last played with it, but I don't know what's on
the disk now.

Comes with Compaq Technical Reference manuals and some diskettes.

Local pickup only, near Rockville, Maryland, U.S.A.

I'd like to get $50 for it. Send me a Private Message if interested.

Bill

(pictures are from when I was rehabbing it)

Compaq-Deskpro-386-Windows.jpg

mem-and-daughterboard.jpg

CPU.jpg

Is this still available? I'm interested in finding a working Deskpro 386.

(I would have PM'ed but don't have permission to for some reason. Thanks)

Why refurbish and "preserve" parts of it only to take it to the dump? Makes no sense...

I agree, you can't expect people to be waiting by the phone... personally I would have held onto it until it was paired with someone who would appreciate it... but thats just me.

I am on the lookout for another myself (locally)... but I do not check every day, week... or sometimes even month!

I've got a Compaq Deskpro 386/25 with a 300MB ESDI disk, 3.5" diskette drive, 32 bit system memory board with 1MB on it and two (of three) modules spots populated with 4MB modules (for a total of 9MB of RAM).

That machine was the family computer from 1989 and eventually became mine. I learnt to program on it.

I'm trying to get it up and running again.

A year ago I started it up and it booted and while I was navigating around my Turbo Pascal 5.0 programs the power supply blew up and it's only now that I have a spare.

Sadly, I pulled the battery out so now it wants the diagnostic diskette which I don't have (and I'm not sure that the floppy drive even works).

If anyone has any advice please let me know.

Also, I'm interested in any parts anyone might want to be rid of (like a 32 bit system memory board with 4MB on it).

Eventually I'd like to try getting an ISA IDE/floppy card for it (that it can boot from) so that I can boot from compact flash and buy spare floppy drives more easily.

I want to keep it running for as long as possible.

So glad I stumbled onto this website. :)

Back