• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

New England FS: Multiple custom retro-hardware components from a unique collection

Covers: Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Maine.

MossyRock

Experienced Member
Delivery Options
In Country Shipping or Local Pickup
We will be downsizing and moving in the future, and sadly, most of these items will not be going with us.

DACC_Intro.jpg

One unique server enclosure/rack: A non-operational IBM 5225 printer converted to be an enclosed, horizontal server rack with fans, air filter, battery backup, one AMD Ryzen 7 1700 computer in a 3U case, one nearly-empty 4U server case. Asking $600.

Two classic reel-to-reel tape drives: Dual Qualstar 1260S SCSI 9-track tape drives with documentation, Linux computer (functioning as the controller), all cabling, custom-built enclosure on casters, and usable tapes. These are rare tape drives and I’d be surprised if you can still find them anywhere else. I want to sell this as a complete unit. Asking $3,000.

One typewriter/printer: IBM Lexmark Wheelwriter 1500 with Centronics-to-USB interface. Asking $600.

One terminal: IBM 3151 serial terminal, amber screen. Asking $350.

All components are clean and are in operational condition.

The following video shows the complete system in operation, less the IBM 3151 serial terminal:

The desk, console and keyboard aren’t for sale.

A picture of the IBM 3151 terminal is below: First_Communications_1.jpeg.

I will consider shipping the Wheelwriter and the IBM 3151 terminal within the USA (shipping charges will be extra).

All other items are large and heavy and must be picked up in Rhode Island, USA.

All reasonable offers will be considered. Send me a PM if you are interested in any of these and we'll discuss.

Thanks.

Anent the Qualstar 1260S: They're really mediocre drives; at 6250 GCR, the tape velocity is too low for reliable reading of alien tapes; passable at 1600 PE. I use mine mostly for retensioning tapes, leaving the real work to the bigger drives.

I don't have any experience with alien tapes at 6250 GCR on my drives. However, mine read and write their own tapes just fine at 1600 PE which is what I use. Both of my drives begin to apply too much tension to the tape as they get towards the end of a 2400' reel, so I don't go past 60% or 70% usage of a full reel.

Much of my business is reading both 7- and 9-track tapes at anywhere from 200 to 6250 fci. Because SCSI gets in the way, all of my production drives are either Pertec or direct (I supply the formatter) interface. With the exception of the 1260S, all low-level I/O is handled by microcontroller setups (see my posting on Pertec-interface to USB controller, for example). My setup is not nearly as tidy as yours, however. :)

Update to ad: we're going to be moving sooner than we thought so all items in my ad should be priced as: "make an offer, even if it differs considerably from what I suggested, and I will consider it."

Thanks.

Back