• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

FS: NEC PowerMate SX/16 computer

vwestlife

Veteran Member
I have one too many vintage PCs so I've decided to sell my NEC PowerMate SX/16. As the name suggests it's a small desktop PC with a 386SX-16 CPU. It also has a 387SX co-processor installed, 1 MB of RAM, a 560 MB IDE hard drive (~512 MB accessible to the OS), an Aztech/Packard Bell Sound Blaster Pro clone sound card, a 5.25" 1.2MB floppy drive, and a unique combo 3.5" 1.44 MB floppy drive and 4X CD-ROM drive.

Unfortunately as shown in the following video I was never able to get the CD-ROM drive working properly, even after trying multiple drivers. Maybe you'll have better luck than me, or you could swap it out from another drive. Everything else works fine, and it includes the original NEC 101-key keyboard with clicky mechanical "blue oval" key switches (which to keyboard enthusiasts is probably worth more than the computer itself). The hard drive has PC DOS 2000 and Windows 3.1 installed.

Asking $60 + shipping or local pickup in central NJ. PM me if you're interested.

I think I have the same CD/floppy combo drive installed in my BSR 386/16. I had the same trouble getting the CD drive working and no drivers would work. I eventually got it to work by connecting the CD drive to the IDE connector on my Sound Blaster Pro card that I had also installed..

Back