• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

FS: Two Shugart 8" floppy drives and two IBM PC floppy drives

SEgamer

Experienced Member
Clearing out some items I no longer need.

Shugart 8" floppy drives.

I have no way of testing these so they are being sold as-is. Asking $30 for the first drive and $25 for the second drive.

First drive - Model 900-3 - Appears to be in good shape. Nothing on the circuit appears to be broken/burnt/blown. Fairly clean minus a few cobwebs that were on it and dust. Motors aren't rusted and appear to be in working order.
100_1363.jpg100_1364.jpg

Second drive - Model 900-1 - same condition as the other except the face plate is really dirty. Tray handle is broken on one side.
100_1366.jpg100_1367.jpg

IBM full height 5.25" drives
Both drives have been sold.

Attachments

• 100_1369.jpg
    100_1369.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hmm, as far as I know, the Shugart 900's are rare - they were the first 8" floppy drives shugart made, and within a couple of years replaced by the 800 series of 8" drives (basically similar to 900's but improved with lessons learned in the field with the 900's). There's very little docs or info on the web about the 900's, and I've never seen one (let alone two)

Hmm, as far as I know, the Shugart 900's are rare - they were the first 8" floppy drives shugart made, and within a couple of years replaced by the 800 series of 8" drives (basically similar to 900's but improved with lessons learned in the field with the 900's). There's very little docs or info on the web about the 900's, and I've never seen one (let alone two)

Don't say stuff like that or then I won't want to sell them! ;)

I didn't realize they were that rare and actually thought there were more of these than the 800s, but I need to clear out some space and I'll more than likely never use them (plus I have a few other drives that I could use instead). Really wish I could find one that sold recently to get a price range.

The SA-900 series was manufactured from 1973 to almost 1980; it went through several changes and upgrades. The pinout is very different from the SA800, but then, it came from a time when 8" floppy drives tended to do that. In retrospect, it probably exceeded the SA800 series in terms of product life (Shugart ceased business as a unit of Xerox in 1985).

Note that Shugart manufactured both the 800 and 900 series at the same time. The 900 is a bit awkward to use because of the wide bezel.

Note that the SA900 is just Shugart's first floppy drive; it's definitely not the first floppy drive. Memorex had its 650 series and of course, IBM, both had floppy drives well before Shugart was even incorporated.

Of the two drives shown, the second one is much later than the first; it looks like a 903 drive.

Back