• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Full and Half Height 5 1/4" Floppy drive cases

Al Hartman

Veteran Member
I'm looking for a supply of cases like the ones the Model 1/3/4 external drives came in, and/or like the Coco FD-501/502.

I have a bunch of bare drives I'd like to case up for use.

Back in the old days, there were several places that sold them. But, after days of searching on eBay, and Google... I can't find any.

There must be thousands in landfills all across the country, or in people's attics/basements.

I just need a few.

I can run a drive bare with just a cable, and a $6 power supply from one of those USB to IDE cable kits. But, I'd like to put cases on them.

Other than contracting a metal fabrication company to make them up, I don't know where to get them.

Ah, you didn't say that you wanted them cheap.

External drive enclosures were never that common, in my experience. I still have a number of NIB IBM PS/2 HH drive enclosures that I might let go, but add shipping and that would likely be a deal-killer.

Otherwise, if you have access to a sheet-metal brake, the simplest would be very easy to make. Basically an "L" section and a "U" section.

Ah, you didn't say that you wanted them cheap.

External drive enclosures were never that common, in my experience. I still have a number of NIB IBM PS/2 HH drive enclosures that I might let go, but add shipping and that would likely be a deal-killer.

Otherwise, if you have access to a sheet-metal brake, the simplest would be very easy to make. Basically an "L" section and a "U" section.

In the TRS-80 world, they were VERY common. I used to see ads for the enclosures all the time in Computer Shopper, 80-Micro, and all sorts of magazines back in the day.

The only problem with having them made up is that they need to be made in quantity, then primered and painted.

I'm going to keep an eye out for these at garage sales and the like.

Back