• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Fun piece of nostalgia - disk notcher

Dunno if it is rare, but people tend to bid like crazy for disk notchers. At least some brands and models. Yours is a bit rugged but still a very low price compared to what they go for.

I've got a couple of notchers. One very much like that and another lever-handle model. . .

Might even have some others tucked away. I used to really use the damn things, after all. ;)

I think I have the exact same one in the link (used on 360K disks for my C64). It is solid metal and unbreakable, just not sure where mine is at the moment.

Hi guys - disk notch discussion

Hi guys - disk notch discussion

Hi all,

Interesting to note these things go for big $$$. Under $3 at my auction at the moment and less than 24 hours to go. Oh well, I'm happy for my customers to get bargains.

I used to use this unit for my C64 collection. I remember those darned notches all over the floor, hehe. Those were the days! I just enjoy the emulators these days.

Kudos to the hardcore,

K.

I remember those darned notches all over the floor, hehe.
Just to be horribly pedantic, I don't think that the part that's cut out can be called a notch as well ;-) I'm not entirely sure if it qualifies as chad though, either!

Does anyone have this model? I'm looking at the underside and wondering if it isn't the gizmo used to make DS2D 3.5" disks into DSHD ones. The die shown on the underside seems to be closer to that size.

Disk Notcher Nostalgia

Disk Notcher Nostalgia

I remember those disk notchers. I think I paid around $5. for one back in the 80's. I had a gray one. These disk notchers produced a perfect squared off hole and in the proper position.

picture.php

Before that I'd notch my C-64 disks with a hole punch - like probably a thousand other guys. Went like this -

picture.php

And the result was -

picture.php

Disk Notcher

Disk Notcher

I dont know if anyone has visited this forum lately..

But I am in need of one of the original disk notchers.. And yes.. I know I can use just a hole punch

But that looks tacky..

Let me know please

Thanks

If you don't like the round notches obtained with a hole punch, consider using an inexpensive metal nibbler, such as the Klein 76011. Takes a nice square "bite" of the right size:

gJ51lrbf50o-xpQIl8GyPCQ-RNEfMsnooPRyd0OE1w1dQ0TXZco5VkDv_BtM-F9Lf_RVcgxfpFQuh5quCEHD8iQ8ndvCxA0OZUOPNqcvvKLpPNFuXc8f7gO0B202YG7eEoVPsuXPoc_Z9Mq6Be3gjHtB_TzA-0wYI-82Bx2OXauf3U9pD0foo4et_3qUvIFaDt3SOGMhzHSEToWNvs9KB8KUl6E

Even if you have the notcher you're still gonna need the punch so you can bite out some holes near the hub for the sector index marker. (Wait, it was only the TRS-80 kids that had to do that...)

I used to convert 10-sector hard sectored diskettes to become "flippys" for use on Northstar disk drives. I remember having to also punch a sector detection window in addition to the write enable notch on the side of the disk. I quit doing it when floppy disks became less expensive.

Was this not required for C64 and other diskettes?

You know, I don't recall anyone ever doing this for PC gear, even though the single-sided drive was definitely an option for the 5150 and clones like the MBC-550.

I guess it was because 160K just wasn't enough to start with.

You know, I don't recall anyone ever doing this for PC gear, even though the single-sided drive was definitely an option for the 5150 and clones like the MBC-550.

I guess it was because 160K just wasn't enough to start with.

Most likely because those who could afford IBM PCs and clones could afford the price of floppy disks and couldn't be bothered with the trouble of "notching". ;)

I just use a scissor and a knife to cut my holes for the c64 1541 drive, not perfect but does work.

I used to convert 10-sector hard sectored diskettes to become "flippys" for use on Northstar disk drives. I remember having to also punch a sector detection window in addition to the write enable notch on the side of the disk. I quit doing it when floppy disks became less expensive.

Was this not required for C64 and other diskettes?

Nope just the write notch

Klein makes some mighty fine tools, never seen that one.
So if it takes a nibble, does that mean it takes out 4 bits? Thank you, I'm here all week! :p
I have a red notcher, in case we ever want to do the 80s version of "Office Space" hah!
There's another on flea bay, $50 though, crazy.

If you don't like the round notches obtained with a hole punch, consider using an inexpensive metal nibbler, such as the Klein 76011. Takes a nice square "bite" of the right size:

gJ51lrbf50o-xpQIl8GyPCQ-RNEfMsnooPRyd0OE1w1dQ0TXZco5VkDv_BtM-F9Lf_RVcgxfpFQuh5quCEHD8iQ8ndvCxA0OZUOPNqcvvKLpPNFuXc8f7gO0B202YG7eEoVPsuXPoc_Z9Mq6Be3gjHtB_TzA-0wYI-82Bx2OXauf3U9pD0foo4et_3qUvIFaDt3SOGMhzHSEToWNvs9KB8KUl6E

I used my knotcher (blue metal) just for my C64 so I can use both sides of a disk (I guess I will do the same with my Atari 800).

I still have my old, cheapie SunCom notcher from my C64 days... which, for me, was the early 90's :)

I haven't used it in forever, primarily because I've several hundred "blanks" that came with my first C64 acquisition.

Ahhh disk notchers take me back! If anyone has extras and wants to sell one for a reasonable price let me know, it is the one miscellaneous thing missing from my collection and something that would get some use.

Back