• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Funny Ebay listings

To restore faith in humanity - I just received a refund from a US seller whose "buy it now" offered only USPS Priority (minimum $43 to Australia), which I paid through gritted teeth. At the post office, the seller realised that First Class would be only $17 for the same item, so used First Class and refunded the difference. Seller was female, FWIW.

And to take that faith away... I recently purchased a vintage Coleman 425 two burner stove on eBay. Shipping was set at $15, which seems a reasonable price based on the light weight, relatively compact size of the item and the fact that the seller lives only about 100 miles from me.

The seller instead sent it via Media Mail, which cost him the princely sum of $3.25, including 19 cents for delivery confirmation. To add insult to injury he sent it wrapped in butcher paper. Not in a box wrapped in butcher paper, but the actual sheet metal stove wrapped only in paper secured with as few pieces of Scotch tape as he could get away with. Seller was male, FWIW

Surprisingly, the stove only received a couple of new minor dents from the experience. I can't imagine what it would have looked like had it come all the way from California or Canada. You have to wonder at the nerve of some people, I certainly wouldn't risk a felony charge of defrauding the Post office for an additional profit of $10.

Man,

I have not seen so much red in a listing ever, and all of it pointless and meaningless. I wonder if seller's ever bother to read the eBay terms or they just keep using the same old tired templates from 10 years ago...

So apparently he doesn't want deadbeat buyers to buy this item, but what if buyers don't want to buy from deadbeat sellers. This guy needs a look into reality.

So apparently he doesn't want deadbeat buyers to buy this item, but what if buyers don't want to buy from deadbeat sellers. This guy needs a look into reality.

If you try to put phrases like "no deadbeat bidders" or "don't bid if you don't intend to pay" in the text of your listing, eBay will prevent you from doing it -- their reasoning being that saying such threatening things will scare away legitimate buyers as well. This seller gets around that restriction by putting the threats as text contained within the images -- nice touch! (And possibly a violation of eBay's TOS.)

If you try to put phrases like "no deadbeat bidders" or "don't bid if you don't intend to pay" in the text of your listing, eBay will prevent you from doing it -- their reasoning being that saying such threatening things will scare away legitimate buyers as well. This seller gets around that restriction by putting the threats as text contained within the images -- nice touch! (And possibly a violation of eBay's TOS.)

I don't know about scared but I was certainly put off to the point that I would not want to deal with him at all. I understand wanting to protect yourself but his method is the the equivalent of getting a pat down every time you walk into a B&M store. Just less effective.

I don't buy from sellers that complain in their descriptions about bad transactions and strict shipping requirements. It just sounds prone to being a bad seller to deal with.

What's a deadbeat buyer?

I'm a deadbeat, but I don't feel a need to tell a seller that. I just plunk down my money and walk away with the item. That's how the buyer/seller relationship works - or is there some alternate universe of which I'm not aware?

A deadbeat buyer is one who doesn't pay, or waits a week to do so. There are many more deadbeat sellers, you know the type who marks something as shipped and then ships it a week or two later not bothering to package it correctly and using the cheapest shipping method while charging you for the best.

The people with 3 miles of disclaimers on ebay are the ones to avoid, they have those disclaimers to hibe behind the fact they are bad at doing their part of the purchase agreement (getting your stuff out on time and packaged correctly with everything as stated in the details of the auction).

I wrote to a seller once that had a high end laptop listed for $1 BIN on ebay but with $1500 shipping. I asked if I could come by and pick it up since a plane ticket would have been cheaper. Of course the seller said he did not offer local pickups and even went so far as to say the high shipping charge allowed him to not pay ebay so much in fees.

I forwarded his message to ebay.

I wrote to a seller once that had a high end laptop listed for $1 BIN on ebay but with $1500 shipping. I asked if I could come by and pick it up since a plane ticket would have been cheaper. Of course the seller said he did not offer local pickups and even went so far as to say the high shipping charge allowed him to not pay ebay so much in fees.

I forwarded his message to ebay.

Did eBay care?

Wouldn't matter these days now that ebay thinks they can take a cut of the shipping price too. Ridiculous.

Why? This is exactly why they did that - Seller Abuse. I agree it is stupid but the seller's bad behavior drove them to it...

Yup, but as you identify and we all pretty much know it's stupid to charge all the legitimate sellers and screw them out of real shipping costs.

Wow.. selling ebooks they downloaded. At least it's free shipping.

Hard to say but the primary bidder has 2 feedback and another one popped in with 0 feedback. It's not unbelievable but I do wonder sometimes about fake bids to raise a price.

Back