• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

FYI: Computer Reset liquidation (Dallas, TX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
9c20CXx.jpg

When you attach images to this forum, it significantly reduces the resolution for storage. Nothing is readable anymore. To quote Dave Matthews, "...all the little ants are marching. Red and black antennas waving"

I for one find what the Deskthority guys are doing is the same as graffiti. And I don't like graffiti. And have strong opinions on the people who do it.

Your text images got decimated...
They are just screen grabs from the links I posted but give this a try this: https://postimg.cc/gallery/2xg98sq28/

I for one find what the Deskthority guys are doing is the same as graffiti. And I don't like graffiti. And have strong opinions on the people who do it.
Agreed.

Meh, if I was treated like him on this thread, I doubt I'd come in here hat-in-hand and begging for forgiveness either. People have been saying pretty nasty things about stuff where a) they weren't there and b) they only heard one side of the story 3rd or even 4th hand.
I still wouldn't like it but it would be one thing if he scavenged a couple non-functional vintage keyboards for personal use. This guy, on the other hand, posted pictures of SHELVES full of vintage keyboards and claimed that it was only a fraction of what he had. This is far more than he could ever personally use. He even states that he bought an entire IBM terminal system because the CR volunteer wanted him to after he was seen the with keyboard to the terminal system. To me, that means that he has no interest in keeping the keyboards together with the systems that they came from and only took the terminal system that went with it because the CR volunteers were actively trying to keep the keyboard with the system. The pictures he posted certainly don't show any complete systems. Just vintage keyboard after vintage keyboard. Piles of them. It was the stated intent of the CR owner(s) and volunteers to save as many of these vintage systems from the scrappers as possible and, based on his own posts, this guy is clearly a scrapper. That isn't 3rd or 4th hand information. It's simply a fact.

Last edited:
this guy is clearly a scrapper.

Actually, he looks like a keyboard collector, not a scrapper.

The only thing people need to know: According to more than one person who was there (of whom I've spoken to in person), he was seen hiding proprietary keyboards underneath cheap $5 rubberdomes so that he could "smuggle" them out. That is disrespectful to curators who are trying to keep rare systems together and functional. The ban was justified.

But apparently he collected them only to harvest the key switches from them, which he can resell to mechanical keyboard enthusiasts for a few bucks each (to swap into modern keyboards), and make big money. Unless he has a change of heart, the rest of each keyboard will be scrapped, just like killing an elephant for its ivory.

But apparently he collected them only to harvest the key switches from them, which he can resell to mechanical keyboard enthusiasts for a few bucks each (to swap into modern keyboards), and make big money.

This. It's there in plain black-and-white in his Deskthority threads, where after posting a picture of some exotic "OOOH, IT HAS STRIPES!" keyswitches he found inside of a (insert rare old keyboard here) he says "already desoldered and sent off to so-and-so!". He might be keeping some of them whole (no doubt because they specifically have already high valuations as complete candidates for USB adaptation) but his main interest is in gutting for parts. He's a hardcore mercenary scrapper, and while there may be a role for players like that in digesting such a large hoard it is *completely* understandable why the curators of this mess wouldn't want to give him priority access to it.

The guy already made off with a couple carloads of stuff he's convinced is worth THE BIGGEST BUX, cry me a river for his poor hurt feelings that he's not welcome back for more.

How does a "keyboard collector" utilize proprietary keyboards for which he deliberately avoided purchasing the matching systems? Put them under a glass case and look at them? I suppose what you're saying is possible but, based on the evidence, I don't consider it believable.

Sorry, my mistake; I have trouble telling various sects of deskthority people apart.

It's okay, they blend. I think the operative part of "mercenary scrapper" is "mercenary", and there seems to be more than adequate evidence that both his behavior and attitude while at the warehouse could be charitably described by that word. And that's apparently not what the curators wanted to deal with.

But apparently he collected them only to harvest the key switches from them, which he can resell to mechanical keyboard enthusiasts for a few bucks each (to swap into modern keyboards), and make big money. Unless he has a change of heart, the rest of each keyboard will be scrapped, just like killing an elephant for its ivory.

I get the analogy, but killing elephants is not the same level as parting out a keyboard :)

The keyboard collectors I know (that don't part out the switches) try to adapt them to USB to be used with modern systems.

This renders the exact same number of vintage systems unusable as if the keyboards were scrapped for their parts. That's not better, in my book.

I get the analogy, but killing elephants is not the same level as parting out a keyboard :)
It's refreshing to see that some assessments are still rational.

This renders the exact same number of vintage systems unusable as if the keyboards were scrapped for their parts. That's not better, in my book.
Basically you're putting the collectors into a similar category as the scavengers and I can't say that I disagree with that reasoning.

Unless they're covered under the Endangered Species Act then I say "so what". Should have grabbed 'em when they were plentiful.

It's refreshing to see that some assessments are still rational.

Basically you're putting the collectors into a similar category as the scavengers and I can't say that I disagree with that reasoning.
If by "collector", you mean someone who takes a rare piece of history and modifies it then, yes, I'm putting them into a similar category as a scrapper.
If by "collector", you mean someone who takes a rare piece of history and preserves it for future generations then no, I'm not putting them into a similar category as a scrapper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back