• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

FYI: Computer Reset liquidation (Dallas, TX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The video, phones ringing off hook from people all over, and the general craziness of it got it shut down.

Through some fence mending and good work by a local who knows the family it was reopened for locals this past weekend.

It was a fun dig and I spent over $1K there myself, but the finds were incredible and I'll have my dream IBM PCjr setup going soon. I'll also be rebuilding a Data I/O Series 29A and 29B for use in programming an even larger variety of ICs for folks through my business.

Be patient. I'll point the person who is spearheading this to this thread.

Sound like a situation pretty unfavorable to people not local. I'm glad I didn't go. Still, I'm glad it's essentially okay and there's more than enough people interested in the stuff.

...Through some fence mending...

Wait, were people cutting the fence and breaking in?

Either way glad to hear it's not all going to the recyclers. Hopefully some of what's there will find it's way to me and others who aren't local one way or another.

There were "a few" things in the video that I would have loved to pick up and give some TLC. Namely the stacks of PS/2s, maybe a DeskPro or two, that one Vectra RS/20 :lol:

The video, phones ringing off hook from people all over, and the general craziness of it got it shut down.

Through some fence mending and good work by a local who knows the family it was reopened for locals this past weekend.

It was a fun dig and I spent over $1K there myself, but the finds were incredible and I'll have my dream IBM PCjr setup going soon. I'll also be rebuilding a Data I/O Series 29A and 29B for use in programming an even larger variety of ICs for folks through my business.

Be patient. I'll point the person who is spearheading this to this thread.
Awesome. I'd love to hear more details of what treasures may have been uncovered. I'm guessing the workload is currently going something like "Hoard now, document later" :)

I saw the original video before it was taken down, and it reminded me of that infinitely huge top secret warehouse at the end of Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark - except a lot messier :p

I wouldn't mind having one those Compaq Portables... pretty neat machine basically a portable IBM PC I'm rebuilding one now as it was my first PC albeit souped up to a 486 or pentium via Intel Inboard.

Also anything Intel Inboard, or Orchid Ramquest 8/16, or old Sparc hardware (especially SBUS cards) related PM me :) ... or who knows there could be a Cray CS6400 buried under all those PS/2s ;-)

I could use the power supply out of those first gen Compaq DeskPros that were in the early part of the video that was online...

I've been to this place 4 or 5 times now, and was just there saturday. It's a great place to find CRT monitors, larger machines, and just rarer items in general, but it's getting picked clean of most of the better stuff. If you plan to make the trip, be prepared to spend most of your saturday searching for what you want. It is most likely there, but it's just buried. To give you an idea of what type of stuff is there, I'll list some of my finds:

2 IBM 5175 Professional Graphics Displays
1 IBM 5151 Monochrome Monitor
1 IBM 5153 Color Graphics Display
3 IBM 5154 Enhanced Graphics Displays
1 IBM 5170 AT
1 Brand new IBM AT Accessory kit
1 Brand new sealed 5140 PC Convertible
2 PC Convertible Backlit displays (brand new)
1 boxed IBM Convertible Enhanced display
1 brand new Convertible Printer
1 Professional Graphics Controller (I didn't find it, but I bought it off someone who found it there)
around 30-40 ISA cards of various functions
1 Compaq Portable II
1 Compaq Portable III
a couple of Model M Keyboards
3 Texas Instruments Color monitors (CGA)
1 Texas Instruments Monochrome Monitor
1 Texas Instruments Professional Computer
1 Texas Instruments Portable Professional Computer
1 Brand new 8" Floppy Drive
7 or 8 MFM hard disks of various conditions, some brand new

and many more.

The selection of good IBM monitors is getting slim, but there are more found every day.

Oh man, myself and several people I know would love to have an IBM 5154. Still, as long as it's not in imminent danger of going to a landfill, I can't tear myself away from work and school here.

I've been to this place 4 or 5 times now, and was just there saturday. It's a great place to find CRT monitors, larger machines, and just rarer items in general, but it's getting picked clean of most of the better stuff. If you plan to make the trip, be prepared to spend most of your saturday searching for what you want. It is most likely there, but it's just buried. To give you an idea of what type of stuff is there, I'll list some of my finds:

2 IBM 5175 Professional Graphics Displays
1 IBM 5151 Monochrome Monitor
1 IBM 5153 Color Graphics Display
3 IBM 5154 Enhanced Graphics Displays
1 IBM 5170 AT
1 Brand new IBM AT Accessory kit
1 Brand new sealed 5140 PC Convertible
2 PC Convertible Backlit displays (brand new)
1 boxed IBM Convertible Enhanced display
1 brand new Convertible Printer
1 Professional Graphics Controller (I didn't find it, but I bought it off someone who found it there)
around 30-40 ISA cards of various functions
1 Compaq Portable II
1 Compaq Portable III
a couple of Model M Keyboards
3 Texas Instruments Color monitors (CGA)
1 Texas Instruments Monochrome Monitor
1 Texas Instruments Professional Computer
1 Texas Instruments Portable Professional Computer
1 Brand new 8" Floppy Drive
7 or 8 MFM hard disks of various conditions, some brand new

and many more.

The selection of good IBM monitors is getting slim, but there are more found every day.

Thank you for doing your part and saving this gear. At least, hopefully, it will now stay in circulation and not in a dumpster.

Awesome stuff. The last week or so I have seen a number of eBay auctions come up that I suspect were from things obtained there. Even if the place is getting picked dry, if someone wanted to give details of what is left that would be cool.

Awesome stuff. The last week or so I have seen a number of eBay auctions come up that I suspect were from things obtained there. Even if the place is getting picked dry, if someone wanted to give details of what is left that would be cool.
I'll list some of the stuff that I remember specifically being left:

IBM PS/2 style monitors
IBM PC, XT, AT, and PS/2 manuals (hardware maintenance, technical reference, guide to operations, etc) all still sealed
Some IBM PC, XT, and AT systems, but a bunch of the remaining systems aren't in very good shape
Various brand new IBM cards and accessories (CGA and EGA cards, printers and print buffers, serial cards, etc.)
Various ISA cards (network, interface cards, video cards, drive controllers)
Hundreds of MFM drives, some still brand new
Lots of Compaq portable and deskpro systems
Some Compaq monitors
Lots of generic CRT monitors
Literal pallets of Brand new PC Convertible accessories (screens, printers, cases, modems, memory expansions, etc)
Lots of various PC Jr monitors, systems, and accessories
Some IBM 5151 monitors, and the occasional 5153
Lots of sealed software. Dos, OS/2, windows, and much more.
Lots of IBM software binders

The thing is, it's really impossible to know exactly what is there until a bunch of the other stuff is gone. I'll attach an imgur album to show what I mean.
There is a lot of good stuff, but there is also a lot of broken stuff. You have to spend a while digging through stuff to find what you want.

Imgur album:
https://imgur.com/gallery/hw1FPvP

so... are all the 5175s gone? oh man i'd give my left testicle for a 5175 and the matching adapter card.

so... are all the 5175s gone? oh man i'd give my left testicle for a 5175 and the matching adapter card.

You can't give up something your wife already owns. :p

I honestly don't understand how that place got to be such a hoarding warehouse... like did he just never sell anything?

I honestly don't understand how that place got to be such a hoarding warehouse... like did he just never sell anything?

Basically the guy was an IBM dealer in the 80s,and he has a bunch of leftover stock from then. He also used to go and collect computers when school districts or businesses got new ones. The problem is that he wanted eBay prices for them, and nobody wants to pay for that if they have to dig out the system themselves.

Basically the guy was an IBM dealer in the 80s,and he has a bunch of leftover stock from then. He also used to go and collect computers when school districts or businesses got new ones. The problem is that he wanted eBay prices for them, and nobody wants to pay for that if they have to dig out the system themselves.

Honestly, that's the thing that probably annoys me the most. When I see something locally and someone tells me (either in person or in the ad) about how much it's worth on eBay. First, in this hobby, anyone who might be interested in this stuff already knows what it sells for online. Second, if I'm going to pay online prices, i'd have already done it and had it shipped to my door long ago... i wouldn't driving all around the city to get one locally for the same price. :)

In the case of this place though, you'd think with the size of that warehouse and what rent must be, he would have needed to actually sell stuff and how many customers would want to wade through that and pay a premium for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back