• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Gaming bucket list

barythrin

Veteran Member
Perhaps similar to other recommended threads but I put it in off topic to include non-vintage games if desired. So if you were to recommend a few games (we have time so you can choose how many to list if you really feel the need) what are a few titles and what platform would you suggest for someones bucket list and if you want to describe and excite folks, why?

A separate note, whats in your gaming bucket list if you've ever thought of one?

My personal bucket list:
The Legend of Zelda (NES), honestly never really played it much since I never had the system as a kid. Always wondered what the full game experience would be. Not sure I would play the dozens of sequels or remakes but I'd like to play the original some time.

Final Fantasy: Similarly never was able to play the original(s) but watched my brother have a lot of fun in the games. I'd rather play the original but I do recall lots of side games in future versions like PS1 and Chocobo racing which was an interesting but entertaining waste of time.

Ultima series (but specifically Ultima 6: Ultima 6 I played a bunch but like a lot of folks never truly beat the game. However I'd like to start from the beginning assuming the rest were as good (although I did see some mention of a rocket ship in one that does make me question the quality of game play in the earlier titles). Had lots of fun goofing around and chatting with NPCs and exploring the cheat code environment (you can actually try to use the runes, no clue if that's ever a real option or what word it wanted me to say).

My recommended games for someone else:
Ultima VI [1990]: Like I said, probably should recommend the series but for whatever reason Ultima VI was the first one I stumbled upon. Such an immerse environment, lots of NPCs around and options to talk to people. Not overly difficult since key words are highlighted to indicate what you can ask them about so you're not just sitting there guessing what commands you can give. Large world, good story, great mix of graphics and text and optional mouse. For me it was the graphics but having the command interface and keyboard control that made it so much fun and free.

Pool of Radiance (SSI Gold box/RPG) [1988]: One of the first in the gold box series and the beginning of a great future with TSR teaming up with SSI and coming out with Advanced Dungeons and Dragons games with stories in the manual to read, graphics in the game to get your imagination going, and plenty of quests throughout. Follows the rule book so if you were already familiar with spells, etc you'll know your way around or if not you could buy the official books and use them beside the game to help on. We used to have a group of us play the game together, one person at the keyboard to navigate (we'd get to the point where we weren't looking at the screen but just the map view to get back to where they'd remember), one person with the journal to read signs and stories if we came along an encounter, and one person with the real AD&D books when deciding what spells to learn or weapons to use. For us it was an early team game where all of us had our character and could play together.

Hardwar [1998]: I know, not vintage but one of my all time favorite games. Obviously I like games that have a world and not necessarily focused on you. This game could quite honestly care less if you're playing or dead. Stranded on a planet and several tech leaders trying to create fusion instead of solar powered energy cells for the ships everyone fly throughout the game, Hundreds of in game NPCs go around and do what they want to make money and survive. Fights break out between folks, others sit by and wait for the wreckage so they can fight to get to the crash first and sell the scrap metal or other precious cargo for money. People trade just about anything and you have whatever option you want as well during non-plot events. Buy and sell items to make a profit and upgrade your ship to get around raiders that might attack you for your cargo during your flight, be a bounty hunter for the police and make much more money at the risk of being outgunned, or follow folks around and hang out for free scrap after a fight or any cargo that gets dropped and scavenge the planet. Like I said, the game pretty much plays itself and you're just another person. You die, game's over. Or host a network game and log in as a new player and the game will continue with it's time-line. Several corporations and gangs also have their own agenda and hit list which you may end up helping or being on depending on your actions. Get a nice force feedback joystick and surround sound speakers and a late 90's gaming setup and you'll be happy.

Trade Wars 2002 [1990/BBS game]: A stretch but again same thing, love the game playing itself while you play. Similar to elite but was intended on BBS/modem/ANSI play. You can have more than one person playing at the same time and you can create a team. Basically a text based star travel and trade game. There were lots of modules written for the game to add different alien races, by default I think it just had the Ferringi, but you could add Vulcans, Klingons, Romulans, Borg, Crystal entity, Q, etc. It adds an interesting twist because they'll set up base in a certain sector then start playing the game also. They're not all unfriendly depending on their in game traits/configuration. Obviously some may demand something from you or they may just be aggressive and attack. Classic game play and fun. Random universe and sector linking each universe creation, the choice to be good (and pay taxes each day) or bad and keep your cash but watch out for Federation ships who will be after you. Create planets, defense systems, etc to guard your bounty.

Alice (Meet Alice?) DOS **I'm not sure if this is the right URL, couldn't find it easily: Like most of my stuff I spent my youth trying to experience virtual reality and artificial life on a computer. This is a stretch but there was an old DOS AI bot called Alice. This was much different than the java version that I believe it became. This version is just a low res face on the screen which is Alice. You talk to her via text and she'll respond. For a small program it was quite impressive with some of what it would come back with. On a side note a friend (much more bored than myself) spent the majoring of a night telling her how they were married. I think 8 hours aftewards he could ask who her husband was and she answered "you are my husband.". He was quite impressed with himself. It saves certain info in a file for future use although I'm pretty sure the next day she was single again.

If you like RPGs, find the old NES "Dragon Warrior" series. (Called "Dragon Quest" in Japan and some other non-US parts of the world.) Numbers 1-3 were very good.

Actually, I should add Elite and Collosol Cave (Adventure) to my personal to play list.

Every once and a while, I'll hook up the old NES and play LoZ straight through both world's without dieing once. It's one of my few party/stupid human tricks. Least it's won me some cash betting against friends.

Legend of Zelda (NES)
Phantasmagoria (PC)
Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SNES)
Descent (PC)
Tetris (Gameboy Advance SP)
Quake (PC)
Silent Hill 2 (PC or PS2)
Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube)

Recommendations for me:

Infocom text adventure games (specifically Zork series, Sorcerian, and Leather Goddess from Phobos)

Hotel Dusk (Nintendo DS) - I got about halfway through with this amazing new-school adventure game and then got sidetracked with life. It's one of those games that the story is so engrossing, I can't pick up after months from where I left off and will need to replay. Haven't gotten around to it.

All the Kings Quest/Space Quest games (I've played them all extensively but never truly beaten any of them outside of SQ1)

Legend of Zelda series, in release order

Wing Commander I-IV (again, played all extensively, but never beat any of them)

Commander Keen, all (I've only ever beaten episode 4 - the rest were played near to completion but never finished)

Last Half of Darkness - This was an old game originally written in QuickBasic along with some extensions. It was a horror-themed adventure game with static graphics and choices that needed to made throughout, all of which would influence the game's outcome. It was shareware, and I've only ever played the first game (and beaten it - was quite a fun weekend)

Phantasmagoria II: I beat the first, and had an awesome weekend doing it (I only left my computer to eat and run to the bathroom - this game was THAT good!). I've read mixed reviews about the second outing, but never did complete it (college got in the way).

Gabriel Knight series: I started to play the first game off of CD back in the day, and never got around to even halfway completing it. Mainly because I got the new VGA Space Quest I remake and Space Quest IV game that same weekend, and well, SQ won out. Sorry, Gabe..

Recommended for Others:

Space Quest series: It's too much zany fun! Trying to go through the game and killing your character off in different ways just to see what the one-liners will be! Awesome

Wing Commander II: Totally cool space combat sim... but worth the admission price to hear the Kilrathi scream epitaphs at you: "I will feast on your entrails!" (get the CD version or the speech pack - you'll be glad you did!)

Super Mario Bros III: probably the best console title. EVER.

Comix Zone (Sega Genesis): A sleeper hit released at the end of the console's life, this game didn't find fame at release, but years later as people rediscovered it on various compilations. Totally awesome beat-em-up platformer that takes place almost entirely in the panels of a comic book! Talk about feeding your inner geek!

Mike Tyson's Punch Out! (NES) - yeahyeah, I know - you guys THINK you're good at the game. Knock Mike Tyson out (NOT a TKO) and then tell me you're the bees knees. (For the record, I've TKO'd him 7 times and knocked him out cold once. Most recently was about a year ago. I totally need to hit that game up s'more myself!)

Apogee shareware titles: Commander Keen/Secret Agent/Crystal Caves/Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure/Mystic Towers/Bio Menace/Monster Bash/Monuments of Mars/Arctic Adventure/Duke Nukem (NOT the 3d crapified version) - these are awesome platformers... easy enough for children to play, complex enough with enough tricks to keep adults coming back for more. If you're into puzzles, look no further than Apogee's Jumpman/Chaganitzu/Paganitzu/Boppin'. Again, awesome.

Epic Pinball: if you haven't experienced this yet, you MUST! The music is killer, and the tables, while they don't exist in real life, are QUITE well done. Add Silverball/Silverball +2 if you enjoy these.

Williams Pinball Classics - recreates about 2 dozen real tables. Get this for PS3 or 360 if you can, but it's also on PS2 and Wii if you only have those. UTTERLY AMAZING. I've put hundreds of hours into 3-4 of the real tables on this game, and I tell you, Crave got the physics and sounds 99.9% perfect! If you love pinball but can't find your favorite tables anymore, GET THIS! Trust me - you'll be glad that you did.

Ya, Epic is nice. I just gave it a short run.

I remember I used to play Tristan Pinball a lot. I'll have to have a look around and see if I can find it. I really used to like that one.

Back