• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

gateway 2000

Early Gateways were very standard clones. It will be necessary to open the system up and see what it inside. Gateways could be highly customized. Pictures of the card slots in the back might narrow some choices.

My expectation would be that it is a 286 (AT clone) of 10 or 12 MHz. The disk controller and video card can only be identified by examining them directly. There will probably be a parallel plus serial port card. Floppy drives should be high density and the tape drive is most likely QIC hooked up to the floppy cable. Tape drive innards have turned to goo though.

To open the case, there should be a set of screws around the back of the system. Remove them and the cover should slide forward. Pull gently. There is a tab on the cover that will grab unto the cables inside. Push the cables out of the way and eventually the cover will pop loose.

I know what is inside the computer. I wanted to hear a bit of the story of the early Gateway 2000 computers. I have googled the early models and couldn't find any that looked like mine. What I saw mostly was a model with curved front not as square as this one. Which looks like an IBM.

Look at PC Magazine issue of Jan 15, 1991 and their ad shows a number of the systems with the embossed G across the vents. The issue is online but direct linking to google books doesn't work. That was later than I thought though but the style lasted from about 1988 to 1992. The earliest models (86-88 ) were generic cases with a stick on label. Then, after around 1992 through the late 90s, Gateway had variations of the curved case fronts. My Gateways were from 1992 and 1997.

very cool thank you for the info krebizfan and unknown_k

I actually found a folder with info on all the 5 Gateways I have and there was paperwork for this AT case.
This computer was purchased in november 1989 and as a buyer you would get a typed and signed letter thanking for your business.
IMG_7111.jpg
IMG_7112.jpg
IMG_7114.jpg
IMG_7115.jpg
with all the options , it cost $2470

So from reading through that article, what I have is one of the first Gateway 2000 computers. Build during their humble beginnings in Iowa. Very cool.

Yeah. I have one of those as well. Mine is 80386SX-16. Unfortunately, the motherboard took a dump and it no longer boots. It is currently sitting on the to do projects pile... Sigh...

At first they were nothing but a clone maker buying off the shelf parts and selling them. Does the system show a gateway logo or identification when you turn it on (special BIOS)? They did seem to use quality parts.

At first they were nothing but a clone maker buying off the shelf parts and selling them. Does the system show a gateway logo or identification when you turn it on (special BIOS)? They did seem to use quality parts.
Dell started out as a clone maker as well. Actually the first Dell computer looks just like the first gateway, minus the big G on the fascia.
They did use quality parts and quality support. I posted a typed and signed letter earlier that I've found with other documentation.

Yeah. I have one of those as well. Mine is 80386SX-16. Unfortunately, the motherboard took a dump and it no longer boots. It is currently sitting on the to do projects pile... Sigh...

I hope you can get yours back to working order again. I enjoy mine a lot with vintage software. Does yours have the tape back up drive as well?

Back