• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Gateway G/Ethertwist PC cards (8-bit ISA)

SunDown79

Veteran Member
Hi,

I have just acquired some Gateway G/Ethertwist PC cards (8-bit ISA) and its obvious that they are network cards but what kind and does anyone have any software for these ? Also any other information is welcome as I have non right now and a search on the net didnt produce much usefull.

Thanks!

Stefan.

Hi,

I have just acquired some Gateway G/Ethertwist PC cards (8-bit ISA) and its obvious that they are network cards but what kind and does anyone have any software for these ? Also any other information is welcome as I have non right now and a search on the net didnt produce much usefull.

Thanks!

Stefan.

The fact that they say ethertwist its a pretty safe bet they are twisted pair ethernet cards.

Can you post what chipset is on the card? Or better yet a legible photo of chips, we can probably find a compatible driver based on that.

That looks to be a tough one, I cant find any links or references to drivers for these :confused:

Foud a post from 1993 for someone looking for drivers, and looks like they didn't have any luck back then, 20 years later is going to be even harder :(

Fingers crossed someone here has a driver disk, or maybe someone knows of another card based off the NS32490CN chipset who's drivers MIGHT be compatible (I didn't come across anything in my search).

Could you toss it in a Win95/98 machine and see if it detects it, and has built in drivers for it, then examine those drivers for a clue (for example if it installs as NE2000 compatible, you could likely use any NE2000 driver)?

I think I might actually have found the drivers (after some serious searching), I found a list of someone's ftp action and searching for those files and found them.
Now I just have to test it (hope it works as then I will have a small pile of 8-bit ISA network cards) :)
For future people looking for info, this seems to be the list of files (I will upload the files somewhere easier to find later) :

**** Gateway Ethernet - \PUB\ADAPTERS\GATE

ADF.ZIP 1K G/Ethernet ADF file for PS/2.
AS400.ZIP 4K Sample files for AS400 installations, using ODI or NDIS.
G2000-01.ZIP 80K Setup and driver for G2000 with assy# 82500085-01
G2000.ZIP 81K Drivers for Gateways NE2000 Compatable NIC.
GECHX.ZIP 21K Diag Program for G/Ethernet boards with NAT-SEMI Chipset
GEEISA.ZIP 78K Config and Driver for Gateways 32 bit Busmaster Ethernet NIC
GELANDRV.ZIP 176K LAN_DRV_207 Disk for NAT-SEMI Chipset NICS. Unzip using -d
GEMCBM.ZIP 71K Gateway Micro Channel Busmaster Driver
GEMCBR.ZIP 15K Older Driver for G\Ethernet MC External Bridge
GENDIS.ZIP 15K NDIS Driver DOS, OS2 NAT-SEMI Chipset, WWG
GEODIWS.ZIP 75K ODI Drivers for 8, 16 and MC NICS with NAT-SEMI Chipset
GETCP.ZIP 13K Standalone TCP Drivers 8, 16 & MC NICS. Nat-Semi Chipset.
GEWFW311.ZIP 76K Windows for Workgroup with ODI Drivers. Nat-Semi Chipset.
GLAPCARD.ZIP 122K G/Lapcard Drivers. (PCMCIA)
GNETFS21.ZIP 18K Gateway propreitary network card Netware 2.X F/S files
GPOCKET.ZIP 164K G/Pocket Drivers.
GQLANDRV.ZIP 157K Complete LAN_DRV_207 disk. Fuji Chipset. (Use pkunzip -d)
GQNDIS.ZIP 13K Ndis Driver, DOS, OS/2. Fuji Chipset Only.
GQODIWS.ZIP 56K ODI WS Drivers for 8, 16, and MC NICS. Fuji Chipset.
GQTCP.ZIP 8K Standalone TCP Drivers for 8 & 16 Bit Nics. Fuji Chipset.
GQWFW311.ZIP 66K Windows for Workgroups using ODI Drivers. Fuji Chipset.
SWITCHES.ZIP 27K Jumper and Switch settings for Gateway Ethernet Boards.
WNT.ZIP 57K WINDOWS NT BETA DRIVER FOR GATEWAY 16 BIT BOARDS

Mind you, I didnt find all the files, right now I have GETCP.ZIP and GELANDRIV.ZIP
Which should be a very good start but SWITCHES.ZIP would have been nice and haven't found that yet.

Ow and also found another different file called GATEWAY.ZIP which according to the file_id.diz contains "Packet Driver for Gateway -NIC."

Looks like a NE1000 workalike, give one of the NE1000 packet drives a go. Crynwr's NE1000 driver has always worked fine for me.

So finally got around to trying the card and...it works :)
The packet driver that worked best for me eventually I actually found on a collection CDROM from 1995 containing all kinds of dos internet tools.
File name is GE08TCP.exe (the README actually says they are beta drivers).

Ow and I tried it with a wattcp stack.

So now I have a pretty much stock XT that can access the internet directly :)

If anyone happens to have any daemon's/services that uses packetdrivers and will run on a XT let me know, now I can start collection those ;)

I think I might actually have found the drivers (after some serious searching), I found a list of someone's ftp action
**** Gateway Ethernet - \PUB\ADAPTERS\GATE
ADF.ZIP 1K G/Ethernet ADF file for PS/2.

GEEISA.ZIP 78K Config and Driver for Gateways 32 bit Busmaster Ethernet NIC

I'm looking for the GEEISA.ZIP file, do you have it? or know where that ftp server was?

Thanks for checking. If you ever come across it please PM me.

Back