• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Getting an O'Neil MicroFlash 2t miniature thermal printer working

Bill-kun

Veteran Member
From Computer Reset. I have two of them. Came with no wires or connectors. Here's a third-party page about it.

1674884926585.png

Here are the manual links.

Thermal printer; has paper. I have a variable power supply, which is adjusted to 12 VDC., center positive, as the markings and user manual direct. The green LED on the printer is on.

I've installed this program to provide drivers. This is the only place on the Internet that I could find the drivers. The file is named Honeywell_2023.1.exe. (This confusing. It seems to be a program by Seagull Scientific called BarTender which includes the O'Neil printer drivers.)

Here is another third-party website that seems to have the same drivers in the same file.

The printer uses a 6P6C connector for data. It is a serial printer. Here is the pinout diagram from PDF page 103 of the manual.
1674884713061.png

Using an 8P8C breakout block (and realizing to skip pin 1 of the 8P8C since this is 6P6C), I mapped the pins from 6P6C to a 9-pin D-sub breakout block as given above. I then used a Trendnet-brand 9-pin D-sub to USB converter, and plugged the USB end directly into my modern laptop.

I've never used a USB-to-D-sub converter before.

It seems that I have to set this printer up manually. I don't have a problem with knowing how to do that, except that which port to use is a mystery to me. I tried every existing USB port listed, and the printer gave no reaction when I printed some text to it from Notepad.

Looking under LPT and COM ports instead of USB, I find:
1674883232793.png

Based I the entry above that I put in red bold, I created a new port in the Add Printer process called "COM5". Win10 didn't ask me for any address or location for it, strangely. (How does it know where to send the data if you've just given it a name and haven't told it where to send the data?) I tried sending text from Notepad to the printer. The printer responds, but with ASCII garbage, and won't stop until I unplug the USB.

Here is a video that has helped a little so far.

I am still stuck in trying to successfully send to the printer. Maybe this is a good opportunity for me to learn how to use PuTTY? Please help.

Attachments

• 1674882767779.png
    1674882767779.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 2
  • microflash-2t_mf2t_specsheet.pdf
    356.5 KB · Views: 0
  • microflash-2t_mf2t_user_manual.pdf
    709.7 KB · Views: 0
Skimming the manual, it looks like there is a "microFlash2 Configuration" program that you run to set the com parameters (baud rate, etc) on the printer side.

If you don't have this utility, you will probably need to experiment with com port settings on the PC side until you match what the printer has. You should be able to change them in the device manager for your USB to serial converter.

Page 27 of the manual shows the possible options:
Baud Rate MF2t/2tcr/2i/2icr/4t/4tcr (2400, 9600, 38400, 57600)
Data Bits (7 or 8)
Parity (None, Even, Odd)
Handshaking (Both, None, DTR, XON/XOFF)

I didn't realize I could literally just change the COM port in the Properties. Wow!

1674891032129.png

Here is the number of permutations possible after I look at each dropdown.
1674890990291.png

If I add COM1/COM2 to that, I get 720 permutations to individually try. Can I narrow this down by eliminating some impossible or unlikely values for each field?

I would start with 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit. Then go through the combinations of baud rate and flow control.

Back