• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Getting sound out of a Model 1 TRS-80

The far left plug in the diagram is the stereo "Y" adapter and yes it is coming from a mono plug source - the TRS-80 via the Cassette Deck. So yes there is a major flaw in my thinking. Thanks for pointing the dead-short out. The right channel is going to Screen not Unused. I will need to replace the stereo "Y" adapter with a mono one for this scheme to work.

I do believe we have momentarily talked about a direct connection between the plugs at either end of the diagram - omitting the mono/stereo adapter.

This is the same diagram as before but I have clarified the terms of the source plug. This is with keeping the current stereo "Y" plug at the TRS-80 - Cassette Deck junction.

I am questioning whether a mono "Y" adapter is needed before the mono/stereo plug in the middle of the diagram.

Attachments

• plug1.png
    plug1.png
    193 KB · Views: 6
I am afraid I am getting more confused...

I thought everything at the TRS-80 / cassette deck end was in MONO? Why is the connector on the left showing stereo is what is confusing me?

Dave

Hi Dave. I believe we have been talking in terms of a signal trace whereas this is a schematic diagram showing pathways. The stereo plug (from both the TRS-80 and Cassette deck) is one of two jacks + plug on the "Y" adapter. As I've posted, a mono "Y" adapter wasn't available at the time. I do have one on order, but am asking if the mono/stereo plug/jack to be installed after the "Y" adapter is suffice for both channels on the speaker(s) to be operational while not compromising the circuit.

UPDATE:

I've just installed a ground-loop isolator in the Aux jack on the cassette unit to the speaker/amp and it eliminates the hum up to 45% turn of the volume control - which is loud enough atm.

Thinking about the issue, the hum occurred when the amp input jack was connected and the TRS-80 turned on, but without an audio signal in that moment coming from the TRS-80. This is with mono plugs via adapter to stereo amp input.

Earlier the connection from the TRS-80 was mono to a stereo "Y" cable and back to the stereo amp input and through to the mono cassette deck. In this case, the right channel went to "screen" and there was no audio from the rh speaker and volume was lower. Also the cassette deck didn't receive a signal iirc. But there was NO HUM.

Hum only occurred when the mono TRS-80 signal was split/merged via mono/stereo adapter

So although I now have a ground-loop isolator connected; I'm assuming the Loudmouse 2 PC speaker/amp isn't tolerating merging of left and right channels. But the isolator has reduced the effect.

Back