• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Gigabyte m61vme-s2 motherboard chipset, DOS support

JT64

Experienced Member
I am trying to set up emulation environment in DOS for my old favourits so i can boot directly into ATARI, AMIGA etc. But i am unable to find NIC and audio drivers for dos
Motherboard is m61vme-s2, i am looking at internet and from what i can see it just does not support dos, i got the SATA DVD working with gcdrom.sys.

But audio drivers seem unavailable, and without audio it is really no fun. Maybe a Pentium II would be better for pet project.
ALC883 is the audio chipset.

I am trying to set up emulation environment in DOS for my old favourits so i can boot directly into ATARI, AMIGA etc. But i am unable to find NIC and audio drivers for dos
Motherboard is m61vme-s2, i am looking at internet and from what i can see it just does not support dos, i got the SATA DVD working with gcdrom.sys.

But audio drivers seem unavailable, and without audio it is really no fun. Maybe a Pentium II would be better for pet project.
ALC883 is the audio chipset.

If you can find one, an Ensoniq AudioPCI (1997) would do the job. I think it's has the 1370 chipset. If I were you, I'd be looking for a mobo with some ISA slots. Good luck!

Using DOS limits you to old, unsupported versions of emulators. If you're emulating anyway, I'd recommend a more modern machine with Linux on it. You'll have newer emulators that are more compatible and support more features (e.g. scaling filters, running ROMs in zip files, etc).

To get the kiosk type experience you're going for, I'd set up a different user for each emulator, and just run the emulator from .xinitrc. Then with a display manager like XDM(kdm, gdm, slim, etc.) you can just select the user(computer) you want from the list. Or you could just use XBMC as a frontend.

Back