• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Gigantic Logic Board.

Hugo Holden

Veteran Member
I thought it would be worth posting this. I have seen some large logic boards in my time, the original Pong arcade board was pretty big, 60 or more TTL IC;s, then in 1974 Atari (and Kee Games) came out with the arcade Tank game. It had so many TTL IC's they could not fit on the one board at the time, so they broke it up into two boards with a multi-jumper between the two as they could not make a pcb in a single bath big enough for the 150 or so IC's.

Tonight, I stumbled across a pcb on ebay, some sort of processor for CNC lathe control. It must be "the mother of all logic boards" or computer boards, at a rough count there are about 500 IC's on the pcb ! !

https://www.ebay.com/itm/23263415149...IAAOSwbP1aX82r

Imagine fault finding this pcb if an IC failed. You would have to be familiar with the entire design to be efficient at repairing it, it is astonishing. I guess a lot of the packages are memory, but even so.

The controller PCB on my Shugart SA4000 hard disk is of similar size; i.e. it matches the disk body outline. Imagine the low yield on boards of this size...

I hate it when you cant expand the photo for a closer look. My god that board is huge. It must be mostly discreet logic right? Its even bigger (width) than the board in my ADM 3/a terminal

You know, this board is so impressive it could be put in a picture frame and hung on a wall. I have seen pictures of bowls of fruit and other much less interesting subject matter that have sold for more $. Maybe give this piece of artwork a name like "IC City"

Back