• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Gmail and Catch-22

That was my situation. I change cellphone carriers and didn't bother to port the number that I gave gmail. I guess I can keep receiving mail from that account, just not send from it or make voice calls out of it.

That was my situation. I change cellphone carriers and didn't bother to port the number that I gave gmail. I guess I can keep receiving mail from that account, just not send from it or make voice calls out of it.
I guess you need to resort to "insider contacts" in Google to sort your Gmail problem.

Their support scalation method seems to be VIP-based.

It's just a secondary account with auto-forwarding. Mostly done for a free voice number, which I hardly ever used. So I still receive email sent to the account.

I've been locked out of YouTube, Steam, Apple, PayPal, online banking (and more) - mostly because they now insist on a mobile phone # and I don't have one. I can still use eBay, but they hassle me every time I log in (reloading can bypass the page). Most sites now add additional verification - sending a code to your email address - and if you no longer have that email address, you're totally screwed.

It's really getting annoying. Pretty soon I won't be able to log in anywhere. It all seems to be leading to digital ID.

I've been locked out of YouTube, Steam, Apple, PayPal, online banking (and more) - mostly because they now insist on a mobile phone # and I don't have one. I can still use eBay, but they hassle me every time I log in (reloading can bypass the page). Most sites now add additional verification - sending a code to your email address - and if you no longer have that email address, you're totally screwed.

It's really getting annoying. Pretty soon I won't be able to log in anywhere. It all seems to be leading to digital ID.
Why not just buy a cheap phone and end your angst?

It's not about money. It's about principle. These services didn't require a mobile phone when I signed up and now they're basically holding my accounts hostage until I submit to their demands. Screw them.
Times are changing and they're not going to reverse anytime soon, read the fine print in the disclosures. I and my wife use cell phones exclusively. My old landline is also a cell phone feeding Bluetooth drops about the house. I haven't noticed any abuse of my phone numbers by Google or any one else. You could always go with Duck Duck Go or one of those similar low maintenance outfits.

Back