• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Good VAX stuff on ebay

$2000 worth of scrap gold? Although I'm aware that gold has and is used for electronics use, I didn't realize it was in those quantities. Ok, now we're talking about a LOT of VAX, but anyhow... I wonder if those by comparison rather tiny VAXserver 3500/4000 we had in the computer club contained any scavengable amounts of valuable metal. They also went to a good home, but I'm not sure for how long they stayed in a good home.

In the late 90's, I briefly worked for a 'second-hand computer store'. They were actually a venture by a local recycling company. Apparently, the recycling company would bid on corporate inventories, and scrap whatever came in. After a period of time, they realized that some of the stuff may be sellable. So someone went thru the inventories, and picked up anything "interesting", which went to a showroom or warehouse (where people could browse).

But the stuff that wasn't considered interesting was immeadiately scrapped. Unfortunately, a lot of machines met their demise in this manner. I know ahm will remember seeing some type of IBM S/360 tucked away in the corner, waiting for eternity. And I can remember one of the top racks containing at least three VAX 780s, some 750s, and assorted equipment. There was other stuff, too, like Tex terminals and HP lab equipment, but since my hobbyist eye is towards DEC, that's what I usually notice first.

The point of my story is that a lot of good stuff comes to this end. Even if the total value in gold is small, per machine, in larger quantities, the ROI is high enough to make it worthwhile. And it's not just the gold, but a lot of chips are also worth scrap value.

Back