• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Google Code shutting down (for reals)

Krille

Veteran Member
Yeah, this is a continuation of the earlier thread. I just wanted to give people a heads-up because, as I understand it, it's just a matter of days now;

Until January 2016 the Google Code Project Hosting service as it exists today will continue to be available. And you will still be able to use version control clients like git, hg, or svn to access project data.

After January 2016 you will no longer be able to access source code from a version control client; however project data will still be available from the Google Code Archive.
Oh Really?

The quote is from here (under "How long will the data remain available?"). Just below that you can read this;
Note that only public data will be archived. If your project has private data, such as issues with the Restrict-View-* label, you will no longer be able to browse those project resources next year. (Public downloads, issues, wikis, etc. will be available.)
This is not only wrong but also deceiving as it might lead you to believe that the repositories will be available for download in some archive file. But since they aren't already, there's no reason to think they will be after January. And currently, the only way to download a repository is to use a version control client. In just a few days, that option is no longer available and the repositories will be lost forever.

It's almost funny how they encourage people in every possible way to move their projects to GitHub or SourceForge. It's obvious that they don't want people to have control over the(ir own) code because they don't tell you how to download the repositories off of their servers. Maybe it's an extremely complicated and laborious process and the write-up alone would make some guy at Google burst into tears? I'll let you decide;

(This is assuming you're using TortoiseSVN under Windows - I'm sure the experience will be equally harrowing with other clients / operating systems.)

1. Make sure you have the TortoiseSVN command line tools installed - rerun the Windows installer package if not.
2. Now run "svnrdump dump https://myfavoriteproject.googlecode.com/svn > source-repo.dump"

That's it! You now have the entire repository for myfavoriteproject in source-repo.dump. Of course it's not really useful in this form as you probably did this to set up a new repository elsewhere. Here's how you do it on a local drive;

(In the directory where you want all your repositories to exist:)
svnadmin create MyFavoriteProject
svnadmin load MyFavoriteProject < source-repo.dump

You now have a local repository and you can do checkouts with the URL to the repository being "file:///C:/MySVNRepos/MyFavoriteProject"

I hope this is useful info for someone!

Additionally, Google is dropping Chrome support for XP and VISTA in April.

I guess that leaves Firefox and Opera for the diehards.

Additionally, Google is dropping Chrome support for XP and VISTA in April.

I guess that leaves Firefox and Opera for the diehards.

Opera, probably not, since it closely tracks Chromium. I doubt Chromium will maintain XP and Vista support either.

Firefox will stay for awhile, but there are rumblings about wanting to use later versions of msvc, and historically what support Chrome drops Firefox soon drops too. Only the sheer install base of XP may alter that computation, and then only temporarily.

Fortunately, both FF and Opera retain old archives. I run Opera 11.something on Win9x boxes on non-SSE2 hardware. There's also the non-Chromium based browsers, such as Midorii.

With all due respect, your post is a bit inflammatory without good reason.

This has been going on for over a year and nobody is trying to hide any information or deprive people of control of their code. You might be able to accuse people of clumsy wording, but nothing as nefarious as you imply. Saying things like "they don't want people to have control over their own code" is nuts:

• The impending shutdown of Google code has been well known for a while now.
  • Google has made it fairly easy to move projects to GitHub.
  • People who put their code into Google code probably know how to get it out without having explicit instructions. Googling for 'move an SVN repository' probably does the trick.
  • People have control over their code; Google code shutting down only means that it can't be hosted, for free, by Google on the Google code platform anymore.

I had mTCP hosted on Google Code, and I miss having it available. An alternative to GitHub is nice. I moved my code and life goes on; nothing about the way that Google has handled this deserves a comment like "they don't want people to have control over their own code."

Back