• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Got an IBM Model M keyboard? Want to make it work on both AT and PS/2 machines?

Stone

10k Member
I've got several (of each) NOS, IBM Model M coiled keyboard cables for both the AT(SDL) style connector and the PS/2 style connector. If you've already got the keyboard with a removeable cable you can get the other type cable and have the best keyboard ever made for both type machines.

$5.00 per cable plus shipping which is $6.00 for 2-3 day Priority Mail w/Tracking #. This shipping price is good for one, two or three cables.

Attachments

• P8110220.jpg
    P8110220.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
OR you can get a PS-2 to AT adapter to use the PS/2 cable and you can get an AT to PS-2 adapter to make the AT cable work in the ps/2, can be had for about 50 cents to a dollar.

Sorry to party-poop, but this one sounds like an advert to me..

Did I post this on the wrong forum? I thought I was posting it to the 'Vintage Computer Items for Sale or Trade forum'. Sorry, My bad.

In any case, I've seen plenty of setups where, for various reasons, the keyboard connector on the puter is nearly inaccessably. In some setups this can really be a PITA. With the second cable, you can leave it(the cable) attached to its respective computer and just move the keyboard. This is way more convienent than having to access the keyboard connector, itself, every time a keyboard change is required..

OR you can get a PS-2 to AT adapter to use the PS/2 cable and you can get an AT to PS-2 adapter to make the AT cable work in the ps/2, can be had for about 50 cents to a dollar.

Sorry to party-poop, but this one sounds like an advert to me..

Last edited:
The connectors (to the keyboard look correct), but I don't think they came off of the standard model M's. Are they aftermarket?

I don't know -- I've had them for about 20 years. So, they're not new. :) But they're NOS. And they work on every Model M I have which carry dates from Feb., 1986 to Sept., 1987.

The connectors (to the keyboard look correct), but I don't think they came off of the standard model M's. Are they aftermarket?

I need a cable for a non-IBM keyboard (Compaq) and I'm wondering if the connectors are similar.
FWIW, one of my Model Ms has a cable with a Compaq logo on it. It was that way when I bought it, so I have no idea what model of Compaq keyboard it came from, but it suggests that at one time they were interchangeable.

SDL is a standard keyboard connector for the other end of a keyboard, not just IBM used it. I have an HP keyboard that uses it, as well, for example.

FWIW, these prices are very reasonable. OP, expect some referrals of non-vintage-computer-enthusiasts who happen to like Model Ms.

Just an update...

Just an update...

I guess my original post is too old to edit but since that time the Priority Mail rates have gone up a bit so the shipping price originally listed as $6.00 is now $7.00. Everything else remains the same, and, yes, I still have more cables available.

Dave, I'll have your answer tomorrow, Tuesday.

Dave, it would cost $15 to ship one or two cables via Priority Mail and $9 to ship one cable via Parcel Post. Two cables via Parcel Post costs $13.

Last edited:
Being it's mid July, Just wondering if these are still available? The PS2 cables would be good.

Thanks!!

Back