• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Got new Logic boards with caps replaced for My classic and classic II now has

thegenerallee86

Experienced Member
a Question mark inside a floppy disk which is better then it was because before I got just vertical wide bars so now I think it might be HDD but don't even know if that was a problem before because when I bought it the guy one ebay had no idea about the history of it so I bought it and a the Classic I which worked and had no sound and now with the new board and caps the sound works awesome and love it! But need help figuring out the Classic II what else can I do to make sure it is the drive?

The Classic II uses the same subframe as late SE FDHD models and has a hard drive mounted above the floppy drive inside the case. If you're getting a flashing question floppy disk, then no valid bootable volume exists.

If you can't hear the hard drive spinning, then it probably has failed. If it's a miniscribe drive, the heads are probably stuck to the platter, preventing it from spinning up. Sometimes you can free the heads by very gently rotating the stepper motor shaft back and forth until it breaks free. If it's not a miniscribe drive, then the platter motor probably gummed up and can't spin. Sometimes inverting the drive will reduce the friction on the spindle enough for it to spin up. Stuck heads are less common on later drive types since they usually automatically park the heads on power down, unlike a miniscribe where the heads must be manually parked and the Macintosh has no method of doing this.

I already went and Ordered 2 SCSI2SD 5.2 Adapters with SD cards so in case it doesn't fix it I can replace both of them and not worry about the problem again!

You'll have to use a 2.5" to 3.5" bay adapter to use a SCSI2SD in a compact Mac, the stock bracket won't work.

I'd also recommend keeping any partitions under 1 GB in size. While HFS does allow for 2 GB partitions, the larger the partition is, the more chance of massive data corruption. HFS was never really a robust file system and it was always a good idea to keep a copy of Norton System Works on hand to deal with the inevitable FS corruption.

You'll have to use a 2.5" to 3.5" bay adapter to use a SCSI2SD in a compact Mac, the stock bracket won't work.

I'd also recommend keeping any partitions under 1 GB in size. While HFS does allow for 2 GB partitions, the larger the partition is, the more chance of massive data corruption. HFS was never really a robust file system and it was always a good idea to keep a copy of Norton System Works on hand to deal with the inevitable FS corruption.

I only plan use the same size as originally came with the Macintosh classics.

Just figured out there was nothing wrong with the Macintosh Classic II's SCSI HDD I just didn't push the SCSI cable in far enough!

Back