• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Got some catching up to do!

Yzzerdd

Veteran Member
Hey all,

Been a long time since I've been too active on here. I see a few new members and I notice Terry Yager still doesn't seem to be active. Anyone figure out where he's at? I still think he's having to go under the radar for whatever reason.

Anyhow, I haven't been on because I've been busy with car stuff. I bought a 1982 Datsun 280ZX and I found myself constantly on a Z driver forum. Was really busy with it for awhile, then I sold it and now have a 1991 Mercury Capri. AC! How how I missed AC. And it has a heater. That 280ZX was a nightmare.

I still have some vintage computers but have been trying to come down to a reasonable amount of equiptment. I have in my collection:

IBM PS/2 90--Bought "new" a few months ago
Heathkit H19--Still waiting for something to use it on...
IBM 5150--Been in my collection for quite awhile and I've got alot of money sunk into it. Has all the manuals and some other gizmos.
IBM PS/2 80--Parts machine. HDD went out and I harvested the floppy drive for my PS/2 90.
Osborne 1--Complete with manuals and such. It's cool, but thats all.
Macinosh Portable--Doesn't quite work. A new battery hopefully will do the trick.
Macintosh 128K--Has the keyboard, mouse, number pad, and carrying case. Really cool! Doesn't work though. Sad Mac.
Macintosh 512K Hyperdrive--No happy/sad/whatever Mac. It just sits there with a grey background and a moveable mouse pointer. Won't read a floppy.
Atari 800--Great for playing some classic games
Commodore VIC-20--Old games are a blast! Donkey Kong anyone? I thought that was just for the Nintendo!
Commodore 64--IDK if it works, havent tried yet
Commodore 64--Parts for above unit.
AT&T PC 6300--100% complete even with reciepts and such. In WV.
AT&T PC 6300--Manuals and whatnot, I use it for more modding stuff, like an external HDD.
Assorted 486 boxes....And a 486 Rackmount server.

I've downsized alot, believe it or not. I'd like to see the Macs fixed, to a new home, or both. I'd like to see the C64s find a new home, unless I find I have some sweet games for them, in which case, I'd be inclined to keep one. I want the PS/2 80 and Osborne to find a new home. The Osborne is cool, but I'll never use it. Well thats my collection. I haven't been up to date with the PC 6300 stuff seems it's all in WV. I know, its a shame. With all this car stuff, I've not fallen from computers, just forgotten how to make time for them. My new car makes number 7 in just over a year. I've been buying them, fixing them up, and selling them for profit. Plus, I got a job as a mechanic now on the weekends. Long story short, I spent my afternoon getting the Capri running right before I would buy it, and the guy was so impressed with my work(I'd never touched a Capri before) that he hired me on the spot to work on Capri's now. He's got a Capri repair business and seems his son quit(he was just saving money and now has all he wanted), he needed a new guy. So after 64 places applied, I got a job I never applied for. Yay!

Yeah, I know, just a bunch of jibber-jabber. I need to express my excitement about things sometimes. I hope to reaffirm my computer workings and get involved with the VC forums again, more actively. Thanks for reading my really long post. Pics of the car to come!

--Ryan
Oh, checkout my old Z car, for kicks: http://zdriver.com/forums/album.php?albumid=76

Congrats Ryan.
It's been a log time looking.
Funny how it works out sometimes - you don't even put in an application but you get a job. I've found most are like that - it's more of a personal relationship thing. If you click, you click, if you don't, you don't. You could have been the best mechanic in the world, but if you don't click with the owner, there's no job for you at that place.

Cars are more what you should be focusing on at your age anyway.
Cars = girls, or so we all liked to think.
A little mechanical work, a little detailing in the inside, and some cut polish on the outside can transform a vehicle, and make you some bucks.

Very happy to hear the news - you've done well, in this economy.

Yes, congrats from me too. You have a positive "can-do" attitude and I knew it was just a matter of time before you would fall into something.

BTW, vintage cars take WAY more room that vintage computers. Just remember that :D

Tez

About time you got back here!

;)

Hmmm... Capri... the little convertible that was to compete with the Miata? or the Fox body generation that was related to the Mustang?

If you are working on the last generation they used the 1.6L engine and drivetrain from the Mazda 323. It's the same engine used in the 90-93 Miatas. There's a GREAT book call the Miata Enthusiats Manual which is THE book for troubleshooting and repairing Miatas.

You'll probably find that most of that information can be applied to the engine in the last gen Capri. Just be sure to get the one for the older 1.6L car and not the 1.8L version.

Thankyou all for the kind words. My mechanic job will be a weekend gig, and looks like I have a shot as a clerk at QuickTrip (A gas station for those who don't know...Comparable to 7/11 (lots of food, drinks), but larger. I got a call and I need to go to their main location in this area for more testing, and if I pass, it's on to an interiview. Fingers crossed!

Yes, this is the cute-sy little convertible with a 1.6L DOHC 4 cyl. 5-speed. Immaculate interior. Having some problems today. Drove great to school, after school I drove across the street to AutoZone to get some SeaFoam(engine cleaner for use in gas, oil, and air intake). Fired up fine, I sat and waited for awhile for cars to clear, then it stalled. From 2-7 I was working on it. Exchanged my new fuel pump for another just in case. I can hear the new one working as the engine turns over, and when it primes. But no start. Towed it home, and after sitting for awhile, she started right up. Drove around the neighborhood without problem. Parked in the garage(I wanted to find what the problem was...circuit breaker?), and let it sit for 30 minutes. Dad came home, I started it up to show him, and after 20 seconds it died again. The pump still works. Some investigating to do. It seems like an electrical issue, not a pump problem. I think I have a bad relay or a breaker keeps getting triggered, and automatically resets after awhile. I did check the cutoff switch, and its fine. Any ideas? I've posted in Capri specific forums, too, but ya'll might be able to help as well.

--Ryan

If you foamed it, check to see there aren't any electrical parts that got either shorted or anything. One thing I just learned that I oughtto have known-- unplug and replug as much as you can think of. Kind of like reseating your Atari chips (just don't drop it, that might not do any good).

Glad to see you back, too! I've been really busy and haven't posted too much either. Good to hear from you.

See if you can lay your hands on a spare distributor (more specifically the ignition module itself) or whatever serves as the ignition module on that little rascal if its new enough to be distributorless. On cars of that era (particularly imports I have found) the module gets warm and the car dies. Once the module cools down the car will fire back up again.

-Lance

If it's like the Miata then the ECU will drive a coil pack with individual coils.

There weren't many problems with coil packs back then but sure were with CAS sensors (Camshaft Angle Sensor) which tells the ECU where the cam is during it's rotation. This is required for the ECU to fire the coil pack AND for firing the fuel injectors.

I'm assuming since that car shared a lot of technology with Mazda and the 323 that it would be similar to the Miata.

I'm sure it is similair to the Miata. I'm slowly working my way down the list to patch things up. I thought I had it fixed(loose air intake connection, VITAL for the car to run at all...has to do with a airflow meter hooked to it), but was driving today and as I idled in a parking lot, it died.

I'm noticing some patterns. It always dies while idling on its own. When I sit at a light with my foot on the gas (it idles a tad rough sometimes, so I boost it up to about 1.5K RPM) it never stalls. When it idles on it's own, it dies. I'm not sure about the relation to if its hot or cold yet. It wouldn't start cold this morning, but did with starter fluid. When it stalled out this afternoon, I sat there for 10 minutes, then gave it a good dose of starting fluid, put it back together, and it started(Several failed attempts before the fluid). All times but once it's been at operating temperature. The time it wasn't was the first time. I started it up, drove just across the street to Autozone, turned it off. Started it up 10 minutes later, and as I idled waiting for someone to pass it died.

Sounds like the fuel filter, distributor cap, or ignitor coil. I'm thinking fuel filter. Makes sense. Think about it. When driving or more gas is applied(say, when I idle it at a higher RPM), it doesn't die. There is more pressure applied on the gas line. Then, when its idling, there is less pressure, and the filter clogs. After it sits for awhile, it'll start up and run alright. Then, as it idles for a bit, it dies. Why does it need starter fluid sometimes? Maybe the filter wasn't supplying enough gas, and it needed the extra oomph to get things going. So I replaced the fuel filter. Much better idle. Runs smoother. I guess we'll see tomorrow afternoon when I take it for a drive around the neighborhood simulating normal driving conditions. That is, assuming it starts up.

--Ryan

Well, if it's like the Miata it will eat plugs and wires for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Use NGK plugs & wires and they will last much longer than cheapos.

Those should be changed along with the fuel filter. If your filter is down by the rear passenger tire then be prepared for a bath. Golf tees or clamping vise grips are your friend. Clamp the rubber hose to keep the fuel from bathing you... or simply insert a golf tee into the line after you pull the filter. Keep a jar under it to catch the fuel that does leak out.

RJ

Golf tee....good idea. The filter was on the drivers side firewall. Changed. The plugs look alright, but while it was dark, I started up the car and turned off all the lights to check for cracks. Sure enough, the coil wire was arching onto a metal piece. Changed it. The others are fine. Two left on the possible list. It's either the ignitor or coil. Guess I'll find out soon enough. I'm low on funds, so I'll have to do some technical work here.

--Ryan

Well I bought a brand new coil to no avail, but today a used 30 day warrantied OEM ignitor came in the mail. The car is running beautifully! Huzzah!

--Ryan

The ignition module packed up in my old Micra, cost me a fortune to fix! - had it tested at a diagnostic centre since 2 garages I took it to couldn't find the fault. (Intermittent loss of spark, it started running rough and kangarooing whenever power was applied, then it started cutting out altogether).

What's the mileage? Mine was approaching 100K when the fault occurred.

BG

Back