• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

GRC ReadSpeed Benchmark Program

Shadow Lord

Veteran Member
Hi,

Has anyone successfully used GRC's new ReadSpeed benchmark program? It is a DOS program for hyper accurate benchmarking or so Steve says. I tried running it in a true/pure DOS format and it tells me that I need to remove himem.sys out of my config.sys. Fine, so I reboot w/ F5 to a prompt and it tells me the system does not have enough memory to run the program (576KB free MS-DOS 6.22). Either it is rather picky or there is bug in there somewhere. I tried writing the IMG file version of the software to disk (as it should be a bootable environment) but I could not get it to open up with the three SW I generally use (WinImg Pro, ImDisk Virtual Disk, or VMWare). I do not have access to DD (no computers with Linux - I know bad Shadow Lord) so I am at a loss.

O.K. It is a bug. I tried it on another system with DOS 6.22 and it ran this time but since this system did not have any PCI controllers the program could not benchmark anything. Not sure why it is giving me the memory error on the other system.

Hi,

Has anyone successfully used GRC's new ReadSpeed benchmark program? It is a DOS program for hyper accurate benchmarking or so Steve says.
Link? Interesting to see Steve making new tools. :) Back in the day his were by far the very best.

Back