• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Green eyed Microsoft Mouse

MaTel

Experienced Member
Hello,

i am the new owner of a green eyed microft mouse with a db9 connector ( 7 pins are used ) with its controller card. Has anyone a diskimage of the original drivers which was delivered with this kind of hardware at 1983?

I'm not sure, but there's probably a driver included in Windows, perhaps as high as XP (I know the InPort, the next Microsoft bus mouse design to follow, has drivers in Windows as high as 98, maybe up to XP). I'd guess 3.1 has them, and possibly earlier.

Hello,

i am the new owner of a green eyed microft mouse with a db9 connector ( 7 pins are used ) with its controller card. Has anyone a diskimage of the original drivers which was delivered with this kind of hardware at 1983?
I used to have one. I believe I used 'MOUSE.COM'. You could use 'MOUSE.SYS" in the CONFIG.SYS if you wish to load it high.

Hi,

I can remember getting the Microsoft green eyed mice with the DB-9 connector, however there was never an interface card supplied. They came with a Microsoft branded DB9M to DB25F adapter and just connected to the serial port and worked.

All you had to do was connect it to an available serial port and run MOUSE.COM.

The ones that came with adapter cards were the InPort mice - and the connectors for those were round and not 'DB' shaped.

Have you tried just plugging it in and running MOUSE.COM ?

Looks like a version 1.0 bus mouse

Looks like a version 1.0 bus mouse

Ok - you got me there. It looks like the card has an 8255 PPI chip, so it's definitly not serial in the RS-232 sense of the word.

I dug my old copy of the Microsoft Mouse Programmers Reference out (sans disk :-( ) and it mentions the version 1.0 bus mouse was supported with early versions of Microsoft Word. The timeline also shows that the next generation mice (version 5.0 grey button) needed the version 5.0 driver from Microsoft.

Version 2 driver had a bundled copy of 'Doodle', version 3.0 added support for the IBM EGA card and MS-DOS 3.x, and contained updates to Notepad. Version 4 had Z-Soft's 'PC Paintbrush' bundled and shipped on two floppy disks.

Does anyone have a copy of older versions of Word with the MOUSE.COM program ?

Anyone with old versions of Technet - I think this may have been on the Platform disks for older unsupported systems ?

I've got two of those mice and one of those cards - any mouse driver (I use CuteMouse) works.

(The mouse works with any program, then, obviously)

The mice work.. horribly.. though - but that might just mean mine needs cleaning. :p

Back