• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Greeting all Y'all Southerners from Florida!

Chromedome45

Veteran Member
Hi guys just thought I would put up something here for us South Easterners. First thing is that most Southerners don't even consider Florida part of the south because of all the retired New Yorkers and Mid-Westerners around here. And in south Florida lots of Hispanics. But be that it may I like it here the
weather is usually pretty warm and not to bad a place to stay. So See Y'all later!

(Moderator's note: This was moved from a regional forum.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Frank:

Us guys in Northwest Florida are the same way. I once called IBM Support when we had 9 to 5 Support 5 days a week. I called at 4:10 central which is our time. They would not accept my support call even after I asked where did the time limitation apply at his location or mine. He said IBM says we were on Eastern time. Same thing happened in 2000 election. We are considered LA (lower Alabama) to the rest of the US.

Frank:

Us guys in Northwest Florida are the same way. I once called IBM Support when we had 9 to 5 Support 5 days a week. I called at 4:10 central which is our time. They would not accept my support call even after I asked where did the time limitation apply at his location or mine. He said IBM says we were on Eastern time. Same thing happened in 2000 election. We are considered LA (lower Alabama) to the rest of the US.

My brother used to be at Ft. Walton for the USAF. When he told me it's not Eastern Time, I thought he was trying to prank me. "It's Florida! How gullible do you think I am!?".... joke was on me after all; who knew part of Florida is in Central Time? Crazy....

Retired New Yorkers? Well, at least that means there is probably some technology there.

Here in Atlanta, nobody even knows what a computer is. It's sort of ironic really, during the 80s, Atlanta was sort of a technology hub with software companies all over and hosting Comdex and all. Not much of that around here any more (at least that I can see).

Retired New Yorkers? Well, at least that means there is probably some technology there.

Here in Atlanta, nobody even knows what a computer is. It's sort of ironic really, during the 80s, Atlanta was sort of a technology hub with software companies all over and hosting Comdex and all. Not much of that around here any more (at least that I can see).

...Not to mention being the home of the Altair!

From what I hear, the Atlanta Historical Computing Society is doing well, and Lonnie Mimms is developing plans to open his museum/technology center there.

. First thing is that most Southerners don't even consider Florida part of the south because of all the retired New Yorkers and Mid-Westerners around here. And in south Florida lots of Hispanics.

It's not that Southerners don't consider Florida part of the south. I believe it's the other way around. You are right about the high number of people that have migrated from the north.

BTW, do you remember this front auto plate?

http://www.mediafire.com/view/zk52sgjl0t4uoa7/DSC00434.JPG

So See Y'all later!

Where you going?

I live and work in Fort Walton Beach area, the owner of our Bank still has one of those native tags on his car. He has had it for the 25 years that I have worked for him. It's still a thing of pride with the older generation. Of the 165 people who work at the company less than 10 are natives.

Yes, Florida has changed over the years...

Hurricane Andrew had lasting effects on South Broward. Now I'm in north Florida, but miss the way it was.

Not going anywhere Chukster! I'm still here and yes I remember those plates.

And to @Gary2000 Andrew pretty much destroyed the Homestead region of Miami-Dade. Not Broward. Just a minor correction. I used to live down in Dade county a small town Called Opa-Locka. Then Sunrise in Broward County and now in DeBary in Volusia county.

And remember the IBM Entry systems division was in Boca Raton. That's in Palm Beach county. Birth place of the IBM PC!

And to EvanK who was recently assimilated I hope it was 7 of 9 who assimilated you ;)

Last edited:
And to @Gary2000 Andrew pretty much destroyed the Homestead region of Miami-Dade. Not Broward. Just a minor correction. I used to live down in Dade county a small town Called Opa-Locka. Then Sunrise in Broward County and now in DeBary in Volusia county.

Yes, that is true. The 'lasting effects' I was referring to was the huge population migration into south Broward (Miramar/Hollywood area and beyond) from Dade. Opa-locka had excellent junkyards 30 years ago for old car parts.

Then to Lauderhill , Delray (worked on Broken Sound Pkwy in Boca), then north.

Ok, I'll stop myself there. :)

I fondly remember Opa-Locka cause I lived off of 37th Ave. Well across from 37th Ave was Biscayne College. What is famous about that place was that it was the training facility for the Miami Dolphins. I used to go over there and watch them practice. Yes this was the early 70's teams that went on and won a couple of Super Bowls. The good
teams. The Dolphins of the last few years to put it bluntly... SUCK! Well enough about them.

I wasn't in South Florida when Andrew struck I was in the Air Force stationed in Northern Japan at the time. Just saw images of the destruction on the national news.
Must have been bad to have to endure that. Now I understand your reference to "lasting effects" The migration northward.

My Tandy 1000 & I survived Hurricane Andrew no worse for wear, but a couple years later, my family packed our bags and headed to Texas, where I've been ever since (except for college), slowly acquiring more & more computers in the meantime. So I guess that means I should be in the Southwest forum. :p

Dan, Snow won't last to long down here maybe a very few short minutes. And Yes Pete we had a lot of rain up here near Orlando too! That is Florida snow BTW.

Now there is not enough rain. My pool water level dropped 4" by evaporation already. It is only late April! :(

Back