• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

greetings.

pmjett

Since y'all have an intro forum, I thought I'd say "hi."

I'm a computer nut and tinkerer, and am actively working on being more vintage in my computing.

I may have to lurk a bit before I can be helpful, but I like lending a hand when I can. Thanks for having a vintage-centric forum!

mike

Welcome! You say you are interested in making your computing a bit more vintage, eh? Mind elaborating a bit as to just how vintage you want to go? I tried that a few times, but I just can't bring myself to stick to it. I REALLY wanted to do it, too. BUT, I use eBay which requires a newer PC for tolerable performance, so I must keep a newer PC around, plus, I like to play the newer games as well. Someday I'll just go crazy and smash everything I have that is too new, and will be back to using a P1 for all my computing needs--as that is about the lowest I can bearably get on the internet with.

Oh, I've rambled again. I think you'll find that most of us here(if not all) love to tinker with our computers, whether making them better in a sense of power and usefulness, or by making them better in the sense of originality--how original a system is(in configuration, not uniqueness).

--Ryan

Welcome! You say you are interested in making your computing a bit more vintage, eh? Mind elaborating a bit as to just how vintage you want to go?

I have a herd of machines here, and have some pretty new stuff in the mix. I've tried a couple of times myself at sort of a luddite computer experience. What I ended up doing is assigning useful tasks (but appropriate) to each machine. Getting on and surfing the net in a Mac Powerbook 540c is painful. Making the machine the way I download old mac software and put it on floppies for its older Mac brethren, eh, that works.

I posted elsewhere here that I just received an IBM Series/1 and docs. That's now about as vintage (excluding my Timex Sinclair 1000 and Mac 128k) as I've got. I'd love to go older into the PDP range. I can't seem to find someone with a PDP to give away though ;)

thanks for the welcome's y'all.

mike

Sounds like you do the same thing I do. That being giving each machine it's own task. One machine I have I do word processing on(the 5150, I like it's keyboard) another I do my finances on(AT&T 6300, math coprocessor makes it a good canidate) and yet another I keep inventory on(Macintosh Classic II, Clarisworks has an excellent DB program). Then there are machines around I keep just for fun, and run games on them or other software, depending on what I have around.

Heck, I'm on a Packard Bell Legend 2440 right now. It isn't vintage per se, but surprisingly, with a P1 at 75MHz and only 16MB of RAM, it flies on many sites.

--Ryan

Back