• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Grettings from Spain!

arf

Hi!

I'm a 19 year old computer engineering student from Spain. I´m interested in 1970's computer technology, I just love big systems with pluggable boards full of 74 series ICs... But as I'm just a student, so I don´t have money or space (I can´t afford a big PDP-11 ) I ended collecting calculators, wich are far more common and less expensive!. I have a Canon Canola 167P with a punch card reader and subroutine suppor, wich is the closest to a minicomputer I have been able to get, and a Canon 1210 with a delay line memory. I also like HP gear, and I'm a proud owner of a HP-85A computer too. The photos are of the Canon 167P, and some of its boards!. I hope one day I´d be able to afford a micro PDP-11 or something, and to be able to run Unix on it, but overall I'm really happy with my calculators and small personal computers right now!

Attachments

• IMG_20210314_182656.jpg
    IMG_20210314_182656.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210314_175424.jpg
    IMG_20210314_175424.jpg
    560.5 KB · Views: 4
Hello and welcome. Money is not always a factor. Alot of this equipment is considered "JUNK" to most people. For instance I was picking up a minicomputer (Free) and the owner just happened to mention they had something they were throwing in the trash and if I wanted it also. It turned out to be a 1971 Wang 700 series. ITs the oldest and rarest piece I own and it cost me nothing but a car ride. If you keep looking ( It takes years to find things) you can find all sorts of great things.. for very little to free.

Having said that I have been collecting longer than you have been alive so I am sure telling a young person to be patient is a bit pointless, that is learned with age. Good luck again and welcome to the forum.

Welcome to VCFED.

If you are interesting in vintage computers - stuff WILL come along at a reasonable price (or even free)...

Good places to go are vintage computer meetings. The last one I went to in the UK was last month - and I was giving away a car full of PDP-11 equipment (for a suitable donation to charity). You may be similarly lucky in Spain?

Decide what you want to collect - and how much you are willing to pay - and keep looking until the items become available.

Dave

Thanks to all of you for your replies!

Money is not always a factor. Alot of this equipment is considered "JUNK" to most people.
To be honest, my main problem it's no money, it's space! I live with my familly in a flat and I can´t really fit a minicomputer right there! (they also see equipment as junk...). Thanks for your advide!
You may be similarly lucky in Spain?
As far as I know here in Spain there is far less interest in vintage computer than in the UK, but I'll try to get to know if they exist here, and to go to them!

To be honest, my main problem it's no money, it's space! I live with my familly in a flat ...
Yes this is the same issue we all run into. I have a home and a large collection so essentially the same issue. These things take up lots of space.

Reactions: arf
Back