• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

GRiD 1755?

hunterjwizzard

Veteran Member
I have this old GRiD model 1755 laptop; I don't see any listings for that model on eBay. Can anyone tell me if this is something rare/sought after, or just another commonly available thing?

If I recall the 1755 (which I think is a variant of the 1750?) was at the point where GRiD was outsourcing their manufacturing and this model was actually a rebadged Tandy product. That I can tell from here it's a very standard 25mhz SLC system with 2mb ram.

The people in the other thread suggested I ask in the GRiD subforum...

That is true, I and at least one other person did, to get this in front of the people on the forum who would be able to help. For future reference, is it better to have the thread moved to the other forum, if that is even a thing?

Tandy bought grid in '88, then sold off their computing division to AST in '93. The early Grids (8086 - 80386) were eye-wateringly expensive magnesium cased slabs, with electroluminesent and gas plasma screens (and weird keyboard layouts). I think the first clamshell format portable? Around the late 386, early 486 days they became much less unique in design.

I figured I might as well try and answer these questions by snapping a few pics. I'm aware my camera work is terrible and i apologize:

5RCL3BF.jpg

nT5uaoT.jpg

I'm forgot to turn my flash off, my bad.

My recollections of this machine are that it worked when I bought it many moons ago, but that it was a 386 running MSDOS. Back then finding a copy of windows 3.11 would have meant having to actually track down a physical copy as Microsoft was pretty big on squelching piracy(plus I simply did not have the skills to do anything). I also recall the few times I powered it on that it had a monocrome screen of some sort.

All that being said, I should be clear on my intentions. I'm not hoping for some sort of giant payday here. I just want to find out if this is one any collector's radar before I do anything ireperable. I'm also warming to the idea of restoring it myself just for that retro charm. I wouldnt mind seeing 3.11 again running on metal.

I have a 1755 as part of the collection but don’t consider that a real system, same color scheme but not much else. Think when we consider the significant systems you are talking about the compass, gridcase or any of the fifteen hundred series. Also have a couple of the Grid XL plastic case 8086 systems that use the grid mother board, plug in sims and plug in ROM so they are more like the regular Grid line but when they sold out to Radio Shack think that was the end of the company and any innovation.
Long story short, the 1755 may be worth something but no where near what a Gridcase or Compass is.

I owned one of the 8086 XLs for a time; my recollection is that the memory was 256KB SIPP; I recall buying some from a guy who made SIMMs; to get SIPPs, he just soldered on a row of pins to his SIMM boards.

I ran it with a V30, but I couldn't think of anything to do with it, so sold it some years back.

Back