• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

GS rom 1 07000000 System Bad

My IIGS rom 1 running self diagnostic on 1st power up will give 07000000 System Bad message.
http://support.apple.com/kb/TA36967?viewlocale=en_US indicates 07 is "Real Time Clock Test"
What does this mean in plain english? Is this fatal? The system boots both ProDOS 8 v.2.0.3 and GS/OS 5.0.2 fine.

I would start with checking the onboard battery, and replace it if its bad (I usually go for an off-board double AA or AAA holder soldered to the terminals).

I would start with checking the onboard battery, and replace it if its bad (I usually go for an off-board double AA or AAA holder soldered to the terminals).
Thanks. Do you recommend 2 or 3 batteries? Two seems undervoltage and 3 seems over.

Thanks. Do you recommend 2 or 3 batteries? Two seems undervoltage and 3 seems over.

2 AA or AAA batteries is 3v, which is well in spec for the RTC, works just fine and dandy. RTC will run (maybe slowly) and hold settings down into the high 1volt range.

Thanks. I will try that.

I should also note it is POSSIBLE the RTC has failed as well, I have never seen that, but its possible, especially if the factory battery has leaked all over the board and caused damage (that's why I go with off board battery holder). It might pay to test it out before going to the trouble of soldering, you could clip the leads close to stock battery and tape or hold new battery connectors to the existing leads.

Back