• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

hdmotion.exe - how to actually run it?

3lectr1c

Veteran Member
It's a DOS program that makes your hard drive make some funky sounds by moving the head in specific ways. Wanted to try it out on the PS/Note 425 but can't figure it out...
Wants a drive number but I don’t know the notation for them, and neither example works
CF71148B-4211-4435-A07B-E414F65B7407.jpeg

It would appear that the BIOS in that machine does not support the extended services needed to run this program. I can't find an actual date that was introduced.

Hmm. The program states that it needs a pentium, but I figured it would still work as there's no performance reason why it shouldn't. Guess not.

What did that poor hard drive do to you?

The function of INT 13h 41h came with the revised BIOSes that broke the 504MB barrier. The Phoenix EDD document that defines the functions was released in 1995. You will need a newer system.

What did that poor hard drive do to you?
Well, nothing really. It's actually been quite reliable and never given me a problem. Just wanted to hear it really go at it. Makes sense why it didn't work though now that I know. It's always the BIOS with these old PCs, isn't it!

If you had a really old drive from back in the day that was noisy then it would be fun. It's always fun to listen to some of those old drives spin up. I had a few Eagle drives (very large and heavy) that sounded like a jet getting ready to take off. Gave them all to a friend when I moved from Md. Too big and heavy to move 4 of them. I could barely lift one.

Old drives do make fun sounds, that's why I wanted to run it. Drive in this particular laptop is a Maxtor 25128AT, 128MB, 2.5", IDE.

Back