• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello All!

Grimjaw

I joined the forum a couple of weeks ago, but haven't had time to introduce myself. A big thanks to the several of the moderators and admins who helped me with problems I had registering.

I have a couple of Compaq Portables (the original XT clones at 4.77 MHz) that I'm restoring. One I bought from the original owner, a friend. I'll call it #1. He had done a few upgrades on it, and I did more. He bought it with 256K of RAM and one 360K floppy, but eventually added a 2nd floppy, increased the RAM to 640K, and a BreakThru286. I added hard drives, an Inboard 386, VGA, and other upgrades.

I purchased the second one really cheap ($75 US) at a salvage store for parts. It booted up at the time, but that's the extent of my use of it. I'll call it #2.

I have completely disassembled both, all the way down to the metal cages, and thoroughly cleaned all the case components, boards, etc. I have replaced the foil and foam pads in #1's keyboard. #1 is assembled and running. #2 is still in pieces.

The IO board I had in #1 did the old flash-bang-puff of smoke thing when a capacitor blew when I fired it up after cleaning. So far, no other fireworks.

In my spare time for the past month or so, I have been testing old hard drives and boards in #1. Many of my original disks were destroyed or no longer viable, so it's been slow going finding and downloading installation discs and drivers, determining jumper settings, etc.

I will start a thread and post my progress going forward on the restorations. I will have some questions and requests, but I think I have some tips that I can post that may help others.

Welcome from the other side of the Pond...

Don't forget to update your profile with your location. I can guess you are in the States from the price you paid...

Ah yes, letting the black magic smoke out of the box! Usually a tantalum bead capacitor (aka Smurf Grenade)...

Dave

Welcome to the forum. I have a few compaq portables as well. Two model 1s, and a model 2. I sold my model III to a fellow forum member.

The model one is notorious for having tantalums blow on the mainboard and the cards ao change those first. the next big hurdle ia rebuilding the keystronic keyboard. You can buy new foam and foil pads from texelec.com

Thanks for the welcomes!

At this point, I'm only going to change the capacitor one that blew. I just don't have time to replace them all. I have already replaced the foil and foam pads in one unit.

Thanks for the welcomes!

At this point, I'm only going to change the capacitor one that blew. I just don't have time to replace them all. I have already replaced the foil and foam pads in one unit.
Ill be honest thats a stop gap. before 2 years ago i replaced half a adozen tantalums.. lately I am replacing them by the dozen. boards and cards. I think these 80s boards arw hitting critical mass with time and thats it. Its not easy dismantling a compaq portable to get to the cap. Makes more sense to get them all at once. I speak from experience on this model. Take it as you will.

Ill be honest thats a stop gap. before 2 years ago i replaced half a adozen tantalums.. lately I am replacing them by the dozen. boards and cards. I think these 80s boards arw hitting critical mass with time and thats it. Its not easy dismantling a compaq portable to get to the cap. Makes more sense to get them all at once. I speak from experience on this model. Take it as you will.
I know I'll have to pay the price later, but for now...

What type of capacitors are you replacing them with? More tantalums or something maybe a bit more durable?

I know I'll have to pay the price later, but for now...

What type of capacitors are you replacing them with? More tantalums or something maybe a bit more durable?
yeah just tantalums. and i think its only 2 variaties so its easy. whats more durable than a tantalum when you can get 30+ years out of it?

yeah just tantalums. and i think its only 2 variaties so its easy. whats more durable than a tantalum when you can get 30+ years out of it?
With my tired, old eyes and 10x magnification of my cell phone camera, I count 12 by 10 microF - 15V (or 16V) on the system board. I see others on other original boards. Is the other variety you mentioned a 2.2 microF - 25V on the power supply? The one that blew on the Everex I/O + clock card is 22 microF - 25V.

Back