• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello, all!

lotonah

Experienced Member
I've been a lurker for a little while now, don't know why I haven't been posting. Fixing that now!

I'm 38, I've lived in British Columbia, Canada all my life (but not in the same cities). I'm currently in Kelowna.

I've been playing/programming with computers for 30 years now (April 1979 was my first exposure to an Apple ][). I've been selling and servicing computers for 20 years now. I'm an avid collector, but I've had sell-offs in the past (moving, no money, etc)... but at the moment my collection is probably the largest it's ever been.

If you want to talk about 8-bit computers, that's my passion. I love to program and play games. I don't think I'll ever "grow up", if it means leaving all this behind!

I'm an avid collector, but I've had sell-offs in the past (moving, no money, etc)... but at the moment my collection is probably the largest it's ever been.

Gidday,

What have you got? Any photos, or website where we can take a peek?

Tez

Very cool,

Sounds like you've had some nice experience on a lot of neat systems. So like the others I'm curious what you have now and if you wrote anything you'd like to tell about.

Friends and I used to write some simple stuff here and there for our own amusement. Some were games, some were tools, or sometimes it was something we saw and just wanted to see if we could do it also.

A few years ago a friend and I decided to get our Apple IIe systems out and were thinking of something complex we could try and program to see what it could do. We decided one something sorta simple but just to draw a rotating cube. A few hours later we had a pretty nice working demo which to be honest at 1Mhz was pretty impressive. For whatever reason he wanted to have the lines of the cube adjust as it rotated so that the front side was solid (I had done it as wireframe and transparent). That sorta ended the project lol for whatever reason (too little sleep, too much caffeine?) our math was no longer +1 or -1 for the length of the lines that were supposed to disappear and it just kinda became an odd ugly shape after a while.

- John

Welcome aboard! As the other members asked, please share some machine information and pictures! I'd be delighted to here more about them!

--Jack

Hmm... I listed most of my collection in a post that I can't find now. Took me a while to remember it all and type it out! Dang.

My collection is 80% 8-bit... lots of Atari models (every North American model except the 65XE...what's the point if you have a 130XE already?), quite a few C64/C128's, numerous Apple // models, TRS-80's, etc.

Have a few Amigas and STs, 8088 machines, too. Of course I have some wicked fast modern computers, as well.

And about 30 videogame consoles.

I mostly just putt around in BASIC, although I dabble in C, Pascal and Assembly language from time to time. I tried my hand at doing it for a living and became disenfranchised with it all. Now when I make money programming it is usually doing some web design instead.

LOL That's the short version. 30 years takes up too much room! :)

I'm 38, I've lived in British Columbia, Canada all my life (but not in the same cities). I'm currently in Kelowna.
(snip)
I love to program and play games. I don't think I'll ever "grow up", if it means leaving all this behind!
Hi lotanah. I live pretty close to you... about 3 hours driver with all the construction along the lake outside Penticton ... and isn't the Kokohalla still closed because of snow?

I like low resource computers but I've never played games. I might have some that would interest you, if I ever sort stuff out, because I collect everything! Last night I was looking for a used 720k diskette to write on, and came across one labeled SPECTRE CHALLENGER, Published by VeloCity. I plugged it in and it ran. That's usually as far as I go with games. lol The files are from 1993 so its not that old. Anyway, I'll just hang on to it so someone else can appreciate it in the future.

TTYL,
Ole

I've been a lurker for a little while now, don't know why I haven't been posting. Fixing that now!

I've been playing/programming with computers for 30 years now (April 1979 was my first exposure to an Apple ][). I've been selling and servicing computers for 20 years now. I'm an avid collector, but I've had sell-offs in the past (moving, no money, etc)... but at the moment my collection is probably the largest it's ever been.

If you want to talk about 8-bit computers, that's my passion. I love to program and play games. I don't think I'll ever "grow up", if it means leaving all this behind!

You need to put up a web site with photos of it all...

Thanks for sharing. It's great to see other people's collection.

I want that TRS-80 Model 4!! :D

Tez

Great collection :)

You have Atari pretty well covered too, very nice.

After seeing your TRS-80 Model 1, I miss the one I used to have. When it didn't work anymore, I trashed it. Hindsight now says, OOPS!

After seeing your TRS-80 Model 1, I miss the one I used to have. When it didn't work anymore, I trashed it. Hindsight now says, OOPS!

That hindsite always arrives too late doesn't it.

I've done that myself with stuff namely a System 80 RS-232 and a full-height tandon drive. The former wasn't even broken, I just never throught I'd want it again. The drive wasn't broken either, I just thought it was. *sigh*

Tez

That hindsite always arrives too late doesn't it.

I've done that myself with stuff namely a System 80 RS-232 and a full-height tandon drive. The former wasn't even broken, I just never throught I'd want it again. The drive wasn't broken either, I just thought it was. *sigh*

Tez

I've done that several times over the years, too. I had a Commodore 8032 SuperPET that wouldn't read the keyboard. Later, I found a solution to it, but I'd already thrown it out.

Same with a Atari 520STfm that I had a 2.5Mb upgrade, 4096 color board, and stereo sound mod in... couldn't read the floppy properly. I replaced the floppy drive, still didn't work so I chucked it. Found out later the stereo mod had a known problem where it would burn out the Yamaha sound chip, which also controls floppy drives. *sigh*

And when I got married and moved across country, I thought that space would be tighter than it was in the moving truck and apartment, so I sold off a large videogame and computer collection (Intellivision, Odyssey 2, Vectrex, Coleco Adam, Apple //c and a few more) for pennies on the dollar. That still chafes me!

Nice to see another canadian on the forum. Sounds like you have a nice collection. I couldn't agree with you more about the 65xe versus the 130. Plus I also have a treasured XEGS. Ataris got me into all this trouble with collecting originally. Welcome.

Hey T., us guys in canuckistan are insidious. WE haven't got that far to go until we're in the majority on the forum. HEH, HEH, HE, HE, HE, EEEEII !! [maniacal laugh]

Lawrence

I think we can outlast the Chinese, they've got a few more mouths to feed. Course, at the rate we're going now, the Mexican drug cartels will be able to out-bid Canadia at the final sale...using America's money!

--T

Last edited:
Great, my post has been hijacked by a moderator :p

Got another box of old DOS software today. I don't know why I agreed to take it, I'm just a gluton for old stuff, I guess!

Back