• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello Everyone!

Grimjaw

I'm very happy to have found this forum. Unfortunately, I did not discover this forum or find out about the Vintage Computer Festival 9.0 in Atlanta, GA until it was over for this year.

I'm the process of restoring a couple of Compaq Portables. One (and I'll call it #1) was my very first computer (though I had been involved with computers for some time before that - punch cards, paper tape, 300 baud acoustical modems, etc.), the other (#2) I bought for parts in case the first one had issues, but I think it can be fully restored. I am the 2nd owner of #1, which I bought from a friend, when he upgraded to a Compaq 486 Portable.

With the keyboard foil and foam pads replaced, #1 is up and running with basic cards installed. #2 is still awaiting assembly and keyboard refurbishment. I have a lot of boards and components to test and decide their fates. Among them: a Maynard Surprise! board, a Breakthru 286 board, an Inboard 386/PC board, and others. I have several working 5.25" floppy drives (360M & 1.2M), and a 3.5" 1.44M drive, plus 4 working MFM hard disks and a number of controller boards.

I have made some discoveries that I would like to share, and have questions to ask.

Hello, and welcome. I'm looking forward to more info about your Compaq Portables. I own a few Compaqs, but nothing in the 8088/PC type. I have a Compaq LTE5400 and some Deskpro EN Pentium-III's.

Seaken

Back