• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello from Appalachia

prokyonid

Hello, I have been a lurker here for a few years, eventually set up an account in January, and now finally in December I am making a post, haha. I am a thirty-something from rural southern Ohio. My hobbies mostly revolve around deprecated tech and DIY, which makes vintage computing kind of a natural fit for me. I have several machines, most of which I stumbled across organically, through thrift stores or by finding someone with a computer they no longer wanted. I mostly tinker with x86 desktops simply because they're the easiest things for me to find, but I'm interested in pretty much any kind of machine. I used to have a pretty decent computer lab set up in my home, but due to Reasons I only have space to set up one desktop at a time for now - at the moment, it is a Tandy 1000TX, with a Smith-Corona 12" HRM2 amber monochrome monitor stationed on top.

Welcome to the forum @prokyonid !

There are a number of folks in the SE Ohio area, and you should consider coming to the VCF Midwest festival, in Chicago, next fall. It's a great event and a lot of us (myself included) will be there.

- Alex

Hello @prokyonid and welcome to the forum. I have a similar story, although I am a fifty-something and about to cross over to the 60's. I inherited a lot of x86 hardware and I mostly work with x86 hardware from 1984 to recent. But I also play with some Apple, Atari, Commodore and CoCo.

I recently refurbished a Tandy 1000HD and upgraded it with an XT-IDE.

Seaken

Back