• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello from Arizona

KJ7CIK

Greetings all, this is Josh from Arizona. I got my start in computing back in 1997 with my first computer but I didn’t start collecting vintage machines until recently. I saw a post in a ham radio group on Facebook about a gentleman who was using a Commodore 64 for packet radio. I knew about Han radio digital modes but I had no idea how old the technology was so after I did a little research I found out it’s actually very old and became poplar around the time of the personal computer revolution. I decided that even though modern methods are easier and cheaper I wanted to try my hand at packet radio using vintage equipment and rest is history.

Hi KJ7CIK, and welcome to the forum! :)

How's the weather over there in Arizona? Sunny and warm, I reckon. The autumn gloom has reached our shores over here now that it's October.

So you got started with computing 10 years after me. Cool.

Never really got into the HAM radio stuff, although I have noticed a lot of overlap in terms of nostalgic vibe between the HAM and vintage/retro computer communities.

Hello from Surprise. I am interested in HAM, but never had a chance to try it.

I’m a commercial truck driver so I’m seldom home but I’m trying to find a job locally so I can enjoy my hobbies more. If any of you guys are interested any getting your ham license let me know. I can talk you through the process and help you find a testing session.

Welcome to the forum! We’re glad to have you here.

Do you carry any of your vintage equipment with you in your truck? I’m not sure if you do long- or short-haul trucking.

- Alex

When I posted this I was OTR but now I’m local. I run trash to the dump for Patriot Waste now. I don’t dare bring anything valuable into a truck after my mechanics put a giant hole in my 5153 monitor. I do occasionally get to rescue vintage gear though. My most recent acquisition was a Atari 1040 and Gateway 2000

KJ7CIK, if you do find parts for early PCs, or 80's-90's boxes (probably not past P2), it doesn't have to be special brand or be tested, I'm interested if you come across. I guess I still feel guilty tossing some things back in the day.

I’ve been keeping my eye on the electronics recycle roll-off but only late 2000’s crap has showed up so far. I know retro XP builds are becoming a thing, I wonder how much longer until Vista builds becomes a thing.😂

I got lucky recently and got an early ATX tower rocking a Pentium 133 and another tower that got squished but it had a Slot 1 mobo. The board was trashed so I salvaged all the components and I put in a Socket 370 board in its place after straightening out the smashed case. It looks ugly and barely holds together but I didn’t have another case from the era.

Back