• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello from Spain!

criticalmass

Hi! After seeing a little bit the website, I felt the must-register obligation, nice forum!

I'm a noob with all the vintage computers themes, I was born in the rubber-dome world (94) , the first computer we had in house were a pentium 4 with a 40gb hdd, compared to the computers of this website it's a futurist-machine hahah.
My interest for this old and weird looking stuff began with an old terminal ubicated in the physic lab of my unniversity, laid in a corner with an abandoned look,as a mechanical keyboard lover, the first thing that surprise me was the old and nice keycaps it had.
As it look it was going to get recycled, I asked them If I could get it, so I brought home a new rival to my old phenom 1045t :p.
I also brought a teletype model 43, but I don't know If it's considered as a computer.

(I'm writting this and it seems that this situation occured long time ago, but all this events took action yesterday hahah )

My first objetive is find the power cable of the terminal, I will create a post right now.

AH! I forgot it! Pics;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/95230480@N02/

Bye!

PD: Sorry for my english, writing in this type of forums in a foreign language is way harder than it looks :blush:

No problem, your English is very good. Cool looking terminal, I'm glad to hear the university let you take it. A lot of government/schools here won't allow that for whatever reason so it gets chopped up :-(

Welcome to the forums! Your name will throw a few folks (like me) off.. ironically we have another Agent Orange here also. Is that from some pop culture reference I missed out on?

Very nice looking unit indeed! Looking at the pictures you posted, The cabinet seems to contain video and keyboard circuitry only. The item you found on eBay shows what looks like a CPU in the lower cabinet, connected to the keyboard/video unit with a ribbon cable. If you manage to power the keyboard/video unit, I doubt you'll see much, but I may be mistaken! Have you checked every cupboard in your physics lab? You might find other parts...
Anyway, keep us posted on your progress!

Hello and welcome to the VCF!
(I too got thrown off by the similar moniker.)

Glad you found a treasure in the corner of your classroom. You never know what you'll find in public institutions. Many of them bought computers then, and forgot to throw them out when the systems were upgraded. I've found a few oldies in my school (mainly IBM stuff).

wow! thanks for all the responses, the idea of making it work again dissapeared, now I will try to adapt the keyboard to a modern computer port and after that, try to adapt the crt, if it's really complicated I will just replace it with a new tft panel.

I'm making some simple designs,I will post them when finished.

(Of course I won't dump the old crt, It's a museum piece!)

Bye!

Hey! Your university, can be Universidad Autonoma de Madrid. I saw some old stuff working in some labs, like a 486 with a dot-matrix printer use to run some basic stuff for Physics Lab subjet.

I'm from Madrid !

Hmm
tumblr_mjkm3iS4ut1rfm892o1_500.gif

It's the UPM. Most of the old stuff was recycled years ago :mad:

Back