• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello from the UK

Hello,

I've joined the forum because I'm just starting my own homebrew z80 computer and will no doubt need help - my progress so far can be seen at http://homebrewz80.blogspot.com

I've got a good number of other vintage computers:
Radio Shack TRS80-Model 100 + Double Disc Drive
1 BBC Master
5 BBC B
ZX Spectrum
TI99/4A
ICL One Per Desk (Like A Sinclair QL that works properly with a phone + modem)

No doubt I'll be back with some dumb questions before long....

Dom

I take it you mean http://z80homebrew.blogspot.com/? ;-) I have a little Z80 system with a UART and IDE interface I built over the span of about ten years on-and-off (mostly off) and still like tinkering with it now and again. I'll be watching how yours goes!

Nice collection you've got going too. Mostly typically British, but where are the TRS80 and TI99 from?

Nice collection you've got going too. Mostly typically British, but where are the TRS80 and TI99 from?

Yes, a BBC and a ZX Spectrum are compulsory members of any Brit collection..:D

Anyway, welcome and good luck with the project.

Tez

Thanks lads for the welcome, and sorry for the typo!

I'm really happy I've just got my first test program to run after spending all afternoon wire-wrapping!:D

The TRS80 was owned by a friend who bought it in the states to use in Bermuda and also doing Geological surveys in Eastern Europe. It's a US model and I've not had it working properly for a while as the fragile disc pack connector got mashed when I moved house. I used to use it for all sorts of things no doubt I'll have to get it working soon for CP/M type stuff...

The TI99 was given to me when my father roped me in to doing a lecture to a load of teachers about computing in schools - I was only about 12 and scared to death. I wrote some demo programs on the Spectrum and ZX81 - I couldn't afford a BBC then, it went well and one of the teachers gave me the TI. Can't say I really used it for much though it was pretty slow and not many cartridges were available over here.

BTW I forgot to mention the ZX81 I got that for my 9th birthday present!

The machine that gets the most use is the ICL OPD I use it as my main office phone mainly just as a speed dialer though it also has a nice spreadsheet software on it too...

Dom

Hi there Dominic, how's life in "Hippy Bridge" I used to live not so far away in Ripponden, I liked it round there. I'm sadly now in Lovely Luton.

If you do wire-wrapping, you have the perfect tool to fix that Model 100 drive connector cable.

Just slip the hole in the WW tool over the entire length of the bent pin and slowly pry it up to its correct position.

I used to keep a manual screwdriver type of WW tool in the Tandy repair depot I managed just for such things as that.

Welcome to the group :) Very neat that you still have some of your original computers. Always adds a little personal value to the collection which is a rare treat.

I'm curious, how did you end up with so many BBC B's?

Back