• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello from West Michigan

cobracon

Experienced Member
Hi all,

New to this board but not collecting. I've been working on computers since around 1978. A few years ago I lost most of my computers when my dads basement flooded. Since then I have been mostly collecting video game consoles. But have been wanting to get back into computers for a while now. I recently found this forum and wow, this place has everything. I hope to stick around and start collecting again.

Robert

Cool, welcome to the forums :) Working on them since 78 eh? What type of systems did you work with back then? I always love hearing about the early days and memories of folks.

Yeah 1978 was a long time ago. I was 8 years old and my grandmother sent me to a computer class. (I wanted guitar lessons) I believe it was the commodore pet at the time. We learned some basic and wrote our own little programs and had a blast. I've never looked back since.

Yeah 1978 was a long time ago. I was 8 years old and my grandmother sent me to a computer class. (I wanted guitar lessons) I believe it was the commodore pet at the time. We learned some basic and wrote our own little programs and had a blast. I've never looked back since.

Coulda been worse. Just be thankful Grams wasn't a big ballet fan...

--T

I hope to stick around and start collecting again.

Welcome!

Not everyone in this forum is a collector of vintage computers. Some of us are just USERS of vintage computers, and own just four or five systems (and want no more).

Welcome!

Not everyone in this forum is a collector of vintage computers. Some of us are just USERS of vintage computers, and own just four or five systems (and want no more).

You are correct. I do collect but not hardcore. I love using and fixing the machines.

Great to hear and congrats on your new acquisitions :) Depending on your free time/motivation perhaps blog or post about the progress you make and what you dig out. T's been a great user/collector for many years, gotta be some great stuff in there. Glad to see it going to someone that'll be using it too :)

Electronics can be salvaged from a watery grave this does not help you now Robert.

You just need to make sure you get rid of all the moisture to prevent corrosion.
And some exotic components might even need some time in the oven. (in the past this was common practice for SMD components to prevent them from 'Popping' in the SMD Oven)

Electronics can be salvaged from a watery grave this does not help you now Robert.

You just need to make sure you get rid of all the moisture to prevent corrosion.
And some exotic components might even need some time in the oven. (in the past this was common practice for SMD components to prevent them from 'Popping' in the SMD Oven)

Yeah I found that out after the fact. Lost alot of hardware, I'm sure some of it could have been saved by baking :( It didn't help that my dad told me a week after the exposure to water.

Also thanks for the welcome guys. I really like these forums.

Back