• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

hello new owner of a ibm5155

On the card in slot 2 is a barrel shaped NiCad battery. The purpose of the battery is to keep the real time clock (RTC) going when the computer is powered off.

One of the photos suggests to me that it is leaking. If it is leaking, then you need to deal with that before the leakage causes damage. There may already be some damage. After the battery is removed, the suggested (by Druid6900) method of neutralising the NiCad leakage on the card is by the use of vinegar and water.

The computer can function without the battery. Without it, the date/time will be lost when the computer is powered off.

For the time being I have removed the card from slot 2 . I seen some corrosion from the battery leak on to the card. IMAG0164.jpg thank you for pointing this out to me

What do you guys recommend for lubricating the rails? Also do you actually do this regularly? HiHi

The 5155 uses the same floppy drives as the PCjr which seem to need cleaning more often.
I use CRC Silicone spray, but I don't spray it onto the rails directly. I spray some on a Q-tip
and wipe the rails down with a light coating.

do you have pictures to show how to clean the rails? and what are rails. sorry i don't know much about this.

For the time being I have removed the card from slot 2

Also check the motherboard right below where that battery was when the card was installed.
I have a couple of motherboards with damage because the battery liquid dripped onto the motherboard.
The boards still work though :)

here is some pictures of the card form slot 2. i have no idea who makes it. is there better cards i can get?
IMAG0165.jpgIMAG0166.jpgIMAG0167.jpgIMAG0168.jpg

is there better cards i can get?
Not really. The 5155 has limited space for cards, and so one card providing many functions is desired.
The MF-100 has RAM (to bring total RAM to 640K), RTC, game port, parallel port, serial ports.
An example of a different card that provides the same functionality is the SixPakPlus, made by AST.

One on eBay at item 300764702557
Warning: No RAM fitted.
Warning: "Sold not-working as parts."

Hi Al,

I didn't notice anything above about cleaning the floppy drive heads. In addition to cleaning and lubing the rails, it's a good idea to get a drive cleaning kit, which has a floppy diskette made of fiber, onto which you apply a few drops of cleaning fluid. Running that floppy in the drive cleans the head. This can also be accomplished with a Q-tip and some isopropyl alcohol, but I've not been able to do as thorough a job as quickly that way as with the cleaning diskette.

When I bought my 5155 and immediately experienced problems with my floppy drives, I used the cleaning kit to get them functioning again. I later followed up on the rails, and subsequently I replaced the 5.25 in. 360kb floppies with 3.5 in. 1.44mb floppies. I also have a prototype of pearce-jj's CF board with a 128mb CF card that serves as an HDD.

Regarding software for the 5155, what sorts of things do you want to do with the computer... write, create spreadsheets and databases, play games, or what? You can do all those things on the 5155, within the limits of its CPU speed, memory, storage, and 9 in. monochrome display.

i found another microprocessor that is from intel its called md8088-2/b . but this one seems hard to find. if anyone got information if this one will fit my computer and where to find one. let me know.

i have found a replacement battery for the board. and will find a computer guy to replace the battery for me sense i don't have a kit to remove the batter and replace it.

thank for the info.

my main use for this computer is to run software that uses the math co processor for all types of math and science. i wondered what software they where using in university at the time too for science related stuff. also i like to use software that lets me write and print on a old printer.

i like to use 3.5 floppie drives and load software on them to use. also that cf board sound like something i want.

if the v20 will cause problems i won't get it.

It mostly only causes problems with a few specific copy-protection schemes, and timing-sensitive games. If you don't plan on running action games made before 1986, or don't plan on running copy-protected software, then an NEC V20 is a nice 50% speedup.

Greetings from the sunny Boca Raton, Florida. Homebirth of the magnificent IBM PC

I definitely recommend the ZIP method to import files from a newest computer into your 5155. The Palmzip utility works great. You can use a ZIP drove 100 USB in your Windows 7/8 Computer and a Parallel ZIP drive 100 in your PC/5150/5155/5160 and use ZIP disk to move the files between. You only need the Palmzip software in your config.sys of your 5155. I love this method because is super fast, doesn’t need any hardware modification; we can read/write the ZIP disk as many times as we want and the Drives and Disk are really cheap on Ebay. From far, the best solution to import vintage apps/games from new systems. Enjoy and long life to the Classic IBM PC!

Back