• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help. I shorted out my 5155's power supply.

I would like to thank everyone who helped me through this minor crisis!! You guys are really great!! I managed to un-solder the offending capacictor and re-solder the new one(note, I only burnt two fingers and now there's a funny brown spot on the dining room table). But, the system is running perfectly with no arcs or pops and no more smoke, even when worked hard in EGA mode running Falcon AT!! Now, if someone could help me find a V20 that will run at 10mhz and maybe an 8087 to go with it, that would be really cool.

Maybe even remove the MB from the case and put everything back the way it was when it worked, in case there's a short at one of the mounting screws. And of course make sure that the connectors have the black wires in the middle, i.e. next to each other. It's pretty hard to catastrophically "short out" a PC PS.

You guy's are great! When I connected the original MB and flipped the switch, the fan came on and appears to run normal, so I turned it back off and connected the HDD with the LED and flipped the switch again and the fan came on, the LED lit and the drive spun up normally. So it would seam the PSU is fine. Just my trouble shooting methods were faulty. Glad I didn't buy that refurbished power supply from CODEMICRO!! Thanks everyone!!

Back