• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help identifying a c. 1968 desktop computer

voidstar78

Veteran Member
I found came across the following in a 1968 Datamation magazine issue, which has two great articles:

Low-Cost Remote CRT Terminals (pg22) [ low cost being under $20,000; the end of the article mentions some vector-CRTs but none of them being under this cost threshold ]

"Why do users want more expensive terminals instead of typewriter or Teletype terminals, which are very commonplace today? One prime advantage of crt terminals is the fast reception of messages at maximum telephone line rates -120 to 300 characters per second versus 10 to 20 characters per second for Teletype or typewriters. This allows the user to inspect and assimilate messages at a much faster pacy, thus permitting the operator to spend less time staring at the messages. Another major advantage of crt terminals is the ability to selectively delete and change characters or words in desired records or files. Quietness is also an attractive characteristic. The major disadvantages are higher co~t and difficulty in obtaining a hard copy capability. Several manufacturers are offering as options various' equipment approaches 'to meet this latter need."

[ interesting to me that there was no apparent foresight that once these became cheap and everyone had a CRT, then the issue of needing hard-copy becomes moot ]

Software for Terminal-Oriented Systems (pg30)

"There are also hardware developments of a more special nature, seeking to fulfill the growing need for remote access to data processing systems. These devices seek to match . more specific requirements (e.g., graphical input), meet the need for portability and, most of all, be more economical. Of particular 'interest is the growing terminal technology that will augment the potentially cheapest and most ubiquitous of all terminals, the Touch-Tone telephone. Examples of such recent developments are shown in Figs. 1 through 5. All of this spells the beginning of the on-line revolution. During the first 15 years of the computer age, data processing provided impersonal services to users. Thus, payrolls, invoices, and fimi.ncial reports may have been processed by computers, but man's activities typically were not directly affected or modified. The present on-line trend, however, .directly affects the manner in which man's everyday activities are conducted. Thus, the presence of computing power, through appropriate man/machine interfaces, will surely reach into every business office, as well as classroom, and even into the home itself."

I assume this photo is just a concept prop and not anything functional (since nothing is on the screen).

Does anyone recognize the "[ C ]" logo? (or maybe it's just a generic placeholder, perhaps it even means "concept" ?).

But it's neat how it basically looks like a TRS-80 with a lightpen attachment :)

1677929809978.png

Last edited:
Might it be a proposed product from Computer Communications Inc.? https://www.computerhistory.org/brochures/doc-4372956fbe631/ though the brochure shows what looks like a clunkier keyboard.

That’s a solid guess, considering the spec table in the article has a column for the CC-30 and lists a light pen as a feature. The terminal’s brain lives in a chunky separate toolbox, so it could well be they offered different keyboards, or this is a prototype version.

There is 3rd interesting article in that same issue:

SEPARATE HARDWARE/ SOFTWARE PRICING (pg72)
NOTE: 1968 is one year before the long anti-trust suit with IBM starts, on that issue of bundling.

Notable quotes:

"His company tried to get the price of an 1130 without software from IBM, but was told that the price was the same. "I wonder," said Jones, "does that mean that their software isn't worth anything or that the price is loaded with things we don't want?"

"Separate pricing, he said, "is inevitable." And he looks for it to come about in three to ten years."

"Have you considered," he continued, "the possibility that separate pricing might produce 100 bad OS's instead of one?", Phil Cramer replied that he would take his chances with 100 bad OS's."

[ I recall hearing Unix was something like $20,000 when first being sold -- maybe around 1974? -- I haven't found an exact article on that, but did that price also include any integration work -- like drivers to whatever-hardware? ]

Also on about page 107 is a General Atronics ad that I thought was interesting, as it relates to the first article mentioned on "Low-Cost Remote CRT Terminals" -- how the notion of using CRTs on computers was still forming (as they were still very expensive). But it's neat in this ad showing a very wide variety of CRTs.

1677959951488.png

The CC-30 and that spec table is actually mentioned in a separate article than the one with the original image I mentioned.

But, that's for sure the right logo. Thanks for providing that link, I think you're right. It looks like a "guess" of March 1970 for that CC brochure, so the 1968 Datamation issue is probably some earlier prototype (did something precede the CC-30? ) -- with a nice table to enclose the huge display controller needed to drive it.

1677960979121.png

CC-30 Communication Station (also with color support!)

CC-301 display controller
text resolution: 20x40, 24x40
dot-matrix graphics mode: 108x85

CC-302 telephone coupler

CC-304 light pen

CC-306 card reader (80 col cards @ 300 cpm)

Last edited:
Back