• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help needed with an Apple III

mpatoray

Experienced Member
Hi all,

I have an apple III that is giving me some problems, when I boot it it just keeps going through the ram test with most of the rows and collums of a little box under "Ram Test" showing dots but a few of the spaces have white boxes, I guess this means that the ram check has failed for that chip or whatever, but have no idea how to interpit the box. I did find a memory bord on ebay that has more bad ram chips then then one in the computer but figure that I can swap out the good chips for bad.

Hlep Please,

Matt[/quote]

If it's an original Apple /// (versus the ///+) you can probably get it going again by just re-seating the chips on the board. Apple used some bad sockets on these earlier machines and gained a reputation for poor reliability because of it.

Usually all you have to do is press down on all of the chips to re-socket them. Sometimes you can pull and replace them to clean and reconnect the contacts.

Of course, there is always the possibility that there is a bad chip in which case you can do what you already said - replace them until you've got a clean boot.

Good luck!

Erik

Back