• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help restoring an Apple II Plus keyboard

jacobtohahn

Experienced Member
My friend owns an Apple II Plus that he has kept in storage for many years. He recently took it out, but found that many keys didn’t work, or typed multiple characters, etc. He let me restore it for him. The keyboard is a strange type that seems to be rare. It’s the same as the one in this post. Luckily, the keys were all fixed by cleaning the contacts. I then turned to cosmetic restoration. I’ve done the motherboard, power supply, and bottom casing, but I’m now to the keyboard.
Because this is a strange keyboard design, it doesn’t have any actual switches soldered to a PCB. Instead, the PCB has contacts on it and metal “fins” (see the photos in the thread above) are pushed down and touch the contacts. That PCB and the fins are all clean. My problem comes with the top of the keyboard, under the caps. The “stems” of the keys poke out of a plastic casing, each slightly raised by a small column. Here’s a photo:
6100A540-80B6-4457-92C4-231F8E2BEE72.jpeg
Adhered to the top of this casing is a thin brass sheet, with holes cut out for the columns with the stems. I removed it because I knew I could reattach it with some spray adhesive. However, adhered to the top of that sheet is a thin rubber layer. That’s the issue. When I was removing the old adhesive that held the brass to the plastic, some acetone got onto the rubber layer, causing it to detach and deform. I’m not sure how I can remake it! Here’s a photo of the brass sheet on the keyboard with the rubber next to it:
B3982E2C-234F-4D3D-824E-9396AF110AAA.jpeg
The green part of the brass is the adhesive for the rubber. It’s intact, but I’ll probably have to remove it.
The rubber is really thin. Is there a similar kind of rubber coating that I could buy and laminate on? I could then just cut out the holes with a hobby knife. What would you recommend? If you need any more photos, I can post them.

oh dear, it's one of those. it might be easier to seek out a replacement instead.

Wow, really? As in, the entire keyboard? If I could just get some kind of rubber that I could adhere/laminate onto the brass, this could be easy, certainly easier than buying a new kb. I just don’t know what I’d search for to find such a product.

Is the rubber sheet important, other than being a cover for the bare metal? You might be able to cover it with anything. It may provide some sound dampening depending on the material used.

Is the rubber sheet important, other than being a cover for the bare metal? You might be able to cover it with anything. It may provide some sound dampening depending on the material used.

Good point. Honestly, I’m not quite sure why the metal sheet is there in the first place, or the rubber. Sound dampening sounds like a good theory.
Do you have any ideas on a material I could use? I’m absolutely sure I can find one that I could simply laminate on, but again, I don’t know what it’s called.
Edit: after a little googling and scrolling through a lot of results for Flex Seal, I found this company. Maybe I could give them a call. It may be possible that they could recreate the entire metal sheet as well, if I send them the old one as a template.
Edit 2: I think what I’m looking for is bonding with hot melt adhesive.

Last edited:
Other keyboards (like the Model F) seem to use foam, but it eventually fails.

I would think felt would be fine and easy to work with... Or even the thin packing foam that you probably have in a pile from eBay shipments may work.

Other keyboards (like the Model F) seem to use foam, but it eventually fails.

I would think felt would be fine and easy to work with... Or even the thin packing foam that you probably have in a pile from eBay shipments may work.

That’s a good idea. I tested to see how much clearance the key caps have over the sheet when pressed, and it’s about 1/8”, so I have some margin for error. That also makes me wonder why the rubber was there in the first place, because it wouldn’t work as dampening, and some of the brass is uncovered.
Anyways, I think I’m going to try using some decorative film, which seems to be basically the same stuff. If that doesn’t work I’ll go with felt.

A quick update:
I just finished applying and cutting the decorative foil, and I’m very pleased with the results. It looks just like the original!
Here’s a photo:
11C0C7A0-492A-43E6-83FD-DD47DC523410.jpeg

Attachments

• AA7355BD-B446-4CA3-AA8E-E5CC2A73CD52.jpeg
    AA7355BD-B446-4CA3-AA8E-E5CC2A73CD52.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 2
Back