• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help With IBM 5160 XT Keyboard

johnnydicamillo

Experienced Member
I recently got an IBM 5160 XT off ebay, however I do not have a monitor or keyboard. But I was wondering if I could use a DIN to PS/2 Adapter to work with a PS/2 keyboard?

Any suggestion or help would be great

*P.S I am eventually going to get an IBM 83 key keyboard, but until then I am just looking for a temporary solution.

Thanks

You can do this if your keyboard is an IBM Model M, as these (at least earlier versions...conflicting reports about later ones) are AT/XT autosensing.

Otherwise it's a bit of a shot in the dark...the protocol is different, so you need a keyboard with a switch to select XT/AT or which autosenses, as the Model M does. Others certainly exist, but not usually with a PS/2 connector...the PC-line Model Ms could be had with DIN or mini-DIN cords (removable).

If you're real cheap, you can construct one on a hunk of perfboard. Hell, if you're even cheaper, you could probably wire it up "dead bug" style.

(The original was built into an old IBM "Monitor Miser" case. I still use it.)

Attachments

• xtatcon.jpg
    xtatcon.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 1
I purchased a adapter at my electronics store for $4, and I also purchased a IBM model M 1391401 keyboard, however it does not come with the ps/2 cable and I do not know if the ps/2 has been pulled off or if those ps/2 cables were detachable. Here is the link to the ebay add http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...APi3Etk%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT.

I have not recieved it yet, I just want to know if I just need to buy a ps/2 cable or if need to do some soldering. Any information on this would be great thanks.

Yeah, the cables on the early Model M's are detachable, so you'll need one if you want to use the keyboard. The connector on the keyboard is weird - looks like an elongated phone plug with two clips on the sides. They made both AT style and PS/2 cables, and they're interchangeable on the keyboard.

You could always just buy an XT keyboard...

-Ian

Personally, I'd get the PS/2 version of the cable and just use a PS/2->AT convertor. That's what I'm using on my 5160. That way, if you end up finding a sweet deal on a PS/2 system that needs a keyboard, you'll have a fine Model M to use with it once you get your 83-key for the 5160. Google is your friend for the cables, they're readily available: http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/9417/subcatid/0/id/130984 is the first site I found, but there are more out there. (I'm not endorsing this site...I've never used them before, just pointing out that they're out there...)

Back